Suitable 1x12 Cab for Mark V Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm gonna be buying a Mark V head pretty soon (Yes I've finally decided between the combo and the head) (Maybe lol I'm trying them out tomorrow).

I just wondered what was a Suitable 1x12 Cab to buy? I'd like to keep it Mesa if I can. I have a 2x12 I use for my road king so the 1x12 will be be for practice at home and some small gigs and rehearsals.

Many Thanks

Paul

I've been using a 1X12 Orange closed back (v30) with my MarkV head. I got both in March and have found this a great combination both live and mic'd in my small studio.

That said, i'm thinking of a 3/4 back Mesa cab in the near future, but want it with V30's.

I have a pair of Mesa Widebody 1x12s (1x open back, 1x ported). They're a match for the Mark V in terms of size and looks.

If you're into closed back tones, I recommend the ported version. It's a miniature monster in terms of sound. It produces a lot of bass and thump for a 1x12 cab and will be the easiest to transition to if your main 2x12 is closed back.

The open back is obviously a good choice if you're into the more vintage/open sound of that style of cab, however I'm guessing that isn't your goal.

I personally prefer the sound of V30s to the stock MC90, and if I were to do it all over again I would order the cab with a factory V30 in it.

screamingdaisy said:
I have a pair of Mesa Widebody 1x12s (1x open back, 1x ported). They're a match for the Mark V in terms of size and looks.

If you're into closed back tones, I recommend the ported version. It's a miniature monster in terms of sound. It produces a lot of bass and thump for a 1x12 cab and will be the easiest to transition to if your main 2x12 is closed back.

The open back is obviously a good choice if you're into the more vintage/open sound of that style of cab, however I'm guessing that isn't your goal.

I personally prefer the sound of V30s to the stock MC90, and if I were to do it all over again I would order the cab with a factory V30 in it.

Thanks for the info. Actually I prefer an open back as I had a closed back before with my road king and it just sounded to squashed to me. Can you get a fairly big sound from an open back?

Thanks again

Paul

paulg2uk said:
Thanks for the info. Actually I prefer an open back as I had a closed back before with my road king and it just sounded to squashed to me. Can you get a fairly big sound from an open back?

Thanks again

Paul

I'm not the best guy to ask about open backs as I'm more of a closed back fan unless I'm going for more of an old school overdrive sound. I have a couple of open back 1x12s but I prefer using multiple speakers so I generally use a pair of them if I can. I find a single 1x12 tends to sound kind of boxy on it's own.

Ok so I'm torn between an open back and a closed back but front ported.

Can anyone help me decide which to go for?

paulg2uk said:

The 3/4 back is the best of both worlds so it makes the decision easy!

MusicManJP6 said:
paulg2uk said:

Is that the special order one?

paulg2uk said:
MusicManJP6 said:
paulg2uk said:

Is that the special order one?

No, it's a standard product:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/product_info_new/index.html

The 3/4 back is the best of both worlds so it makes the decision easy![/quote]

Is that the special order one?[/quote]

No, it's a standard product:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/product_info_new/index.html[/quote]

Do you mean this one?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/ThreeQuarterCABS/TQ-1x12-LG.htm

I have the 1X12 cab wide body / closed back/ front ported cab . It was designed for the mark V . I opted for a V30 in mine . great cab .

Barry said:
I have the 1X12 cab wide body / closed back/ front ported cab . It was designed for the mark V . I opted for a V30 in mine . great cab .

I think I'll be going for that one. I had a 1x12 closed back before and it just sounded too squashed to me. Does the front ported section help with that at all?

MusicManJP6 said:
paulg2uk said:
Do you mean this one?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/ThreeQuarterCABS/TQ-1x12-LG.htm

That's the one!

It seems a lot bigger than the wide body ones. Do ya notice that when carting it about?

paulg2uk said:
MusicManJP6 said:
paulg2uk said:
Do you mean this one?

That's the one!

It seems a lot bigger than the wide body ones. Do ya notice that when carting it about?

Here is what it looks like under the mark and the widebody front ported.

DSCF0266.jpg

paulg2uk said:
Barry said:

I think I'll be going for that one. I had a 1x12 closed back before and it just sounded too squashed to me. Does the front ported section help with that at all?

You wont get that same open sound you get with the open back.

Here is what it looks like under the mark and the widebody front ported.

DSCF0266.jpg
[/quote]

Does seem a little big to me, is it any heavier then the other one?

Latest posts

Back