Subway Blues question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy-jengas

Reaction score
Hey all. This is officially my first posting and I'm going to sound like a moron in it! Awesome!

I bought a used Subway Blues and want to hook up an extension cab to it. Is it kosher to continue using the 10" speaker in the combo, or should I disconnect that?

Essentially I'm looking for the safest way to connect an external cab to a combo. I've never actually done this before, and am just experimenting now. I've wanted a Subway Blues since the late nineties and finally got my hands on one!

Link to the manual:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Subway%20Blues.pdf
You can unplug the internal speaker and plug an 8 ohm cab (1 x 12, 4 x 12, whatever) into the 8 ohm speaker jack.
Or leave the combo speaker (8 ohms) plugged in, just move it to one of the 4 ohm jacks. Plug the extension speaker (should also be 8 ohms) into the other 4 ohm jack. Leave the 8 ohm jack empty. NEVER run the amp without a speaker plugged in, even if it's in the "wrong" jack (i.e., 8 ohm speaker in 4 ohm jack). The amp's output transformer is likely to fail if you do this. Expensive repair. Cheers!

Cool guys! Thanks for the replies and welcomes. I've had a slew of Mesa amps over the years. I regret getting rid of a pristine 4x10 Blue Angel and never buying a Subway amp. Now a used Subway is in my possession. Next on the list: the Blue Angel!

I thought that the Subway Blues COULD be used without a speaker load, as long as the speaker switch is set to off. This is different from the Mark IV, for example, which always requires a speaker load. Can anyone else confirm this?

cho said:
I thought that the Subway Blues COULD be used without a speaker load, as long as the speaker switch is set to off. This is different from the Mark IV, for example, which always requires a speaker load. Can anyone else confirm this?
Read The Manual: Page 10.
Leave.Your.Speaker.Connected.

Hey jimmy-jengas

I run my Subway Blues exactly as MrMarkIII sugests

One of the 4ohm outputs to the internal speaker

The other 4ohm output to a Proamplifiers 4x12 cabinet

No connection to the 8ohm output

Been working fine for ages & it sounds superb too

Latest posts

Back