Studio Pre direct (EDIT: raw tracks vs mixed & mastered)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
High gain tone test with a Gibson 2010 Explorer (drop C tuning) into my Boogie Studio Pre, (recording out into soundcard).

EDIT: I uploaded five versions of this one, in order to hear the differences between (I.) single raw guitar track, (II.) double tracked raw tracks and finally (III., IV., V.) three different mastering settings.

Which of the three mixed and mastered tracks do you like the most? Any other comments really appreciated!

All the songs here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=642176&content=music

Studio Pre settings:

studio020611-2.JPG

studio020611.JPG

very good man, raw and powerful, good quality for a direct recording!

Bah, it's just spam >.<

Lol I didn't notice it was a direct recording until a poster pointed it out (never do pay much attention to thread titles xD)

I liked the raw tracks (both) and the first mastered track. Number V was a bit dark sounding and IV was missing "something". You know, that "something" something.

the guitartracks are very good sounding for direct recording, but i never heard a bad sounding studio pre at all. ;)
while hearing your recordings, i regret selling my studio pre!
sorry that i have to say, that i don´t like any of the master tracks. the guitars are to loud. bring them more into the mix, they are too outstanding.
less level and maybe less low-end, bring up the level of the drums and let the guitars and bass be one unit in sound.

Thank you all for your comments guys.

Jackie said:
[...] IV was missing "something". You know, that "something" something.

joe web said:
[...] let the guitars and bass be one unit in sound.

I'm not fully satisfied with the mastered tracks either. Maybe the main "missing thing" is the guitar & bass cohesion. Then, I think direct recording will never give you the same feeling as mic'ing a real cab, which I believe adds more attack and edge to the tone. However the Studio is awesome! :)

yste,

try throwing this http://www.acmebargig.com/product/cab-enhancer/

into a fx bus in your daw. run all your gtr tracks to it. i get some pretty good sounding stuff with my pre with this. i use the fx send tho and not the recording out. but that is tomato/to ma toe.....ha ha ha.

if you don't like it throw it away.

i dig the sound of the amp. totally works.
if you had a room mic blended with the direct, it would make it a bit more organic.

mix wise, the guitars are overwhelming the drum track.

Latest posts

Back