Studio pre-amp valves

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMcQ

Reaction score
Hi, just got my first Boogie today. Picked up a Studio Preamp from eBay. Quite pleased with it, although I'm using a solidstate poweramp just now, which is killing it a bit, so I'm gonna try an scrape together the pennies for a Marshall 50/50 valve one.

What's the best brand of valves to use in one of these? It has Boogie ones in it now, and given the amount of dust inside, it would appear they're likely the original ones, so I'd like to replace them with some new ones.
Also would be looking for info on the best place to get them in the UK.

I also have 2 small issues with the pre-amp, one regarding the reverb, the other with a wire which seems to have been clipped and left unconnected. Rather than try to explain both of those, I'll pop the lid off again later and take a photo which will be more clear.

Here's a pic of my current rig, with my new pre-amp.
http://www.skinplant.com/hippy/rack.JPG

Search this site for 12aX7, preamp tubes, EL84 etc. Lots of previous discussions on brands, many opinions and favorites depending on the sound you want, brighter, darker, later distortion etc.

I got a set of the EH gold from Hotrox last week. Sound great.
Came early the next day too, really good service from them.

Latest posts

Back