Studio 22+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussB

Reaction score
I bought this amp used in 1991, and I can't ever imagine parting with it! In this pic it has a Weber "Silver Bell" speaker in it. GREAT speaker! I've also used an EVM12L in it. Those 20 or-so watts really can drive that speaker quite well! 8)

BoogieFront.jpg

ned said:
Russ-

What kind of tones does the .22 produce?

Now THAT'S a tough question, me trying to explain tone! :lol:

My 22+ has a very lively clean channel, definitely one of the best "cleans" Boogie has ever produced (IMHO, of course!). The lead channel can get really saturated, and this amp can sound good at low volumes, albeit with a speaker OTHER than the EVM12L.

The Studio 22+'s are simple amps to operate, compared to the Marks. It's hard to get a bad tone from 'em.

I have been using this amp for so long, that this is the amp by which all others are judged. They really respond well to a speaker change. The Mesa/Celestion C90 sounds great in them as well

I've had my Studio .22+ for a couple of years. I bought it as a "grab and go" jam amp and now I use it all the time. I wasn't crazy about the stock speaker and was going to get a Reverend Alltone, but I had an extension cab that had the EV that was in my MK I RI when I bought it. I decided to take the Altec out of the MK I and put it in the cab, but it wouldn't fit. So I took the Black Shadow out of the Studio and put it in the cab and the Altec in the Studio. (With the EV back in the MK I. Confused yet?)
The Altec is a great match for this amp and the way I play. I do alot of clean stuff and use pedals. THe Altec brightens up the Boogie, but not so much that it's harsh. The other mod I made is to replace the second preamp tube with an old 12AX7 of unknown origin. THe label has long ago worn off. It might have come out of a tube stereo, but I don't remember. This tube smoothed out the distortion and warmed up the tone. I'd think that any high quality NOS tube would have the same effect. The Studio .22+ works well with my Gretsch, Les Paul and Rickenbacker 12 string. And with a Lap Steel it's really nice.

One question. How do you set your controls to get a smooth change between clean and lead? If I get a good clean tone the lead setting is nowhere near what I want. Sometimes I use a Deluxe Reverb for my clean tone and then use the Boogie for crunchy rhythm and lead tones. But it would be nice to just use one amp. Anythoughts?

I struggle to get a good clean & good lead. The lead will always be too saturated compared to the clean.

V1 is the tube for the lead channel. Try a lower gain tube in that socket. I've used a 5751 and 12AT7 in there, and it helps with the balance thing. I have a couple Mullard CV4024 (military 12AT7) they are a good, toneful tube, and cost $20 for NOS.

V2 is the input and 1st gain stage...weird how Mesa did the tube layout. I am using a Brimar 12AX7 from the '70's in there...great tube!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll experiment with a lower gain tube. V1 for the lead channel sounds like the idea behind a MK I where there is a tube stage ahead of the "normal" preamp. From looking at the schematic, switching into lead mode does the same thing on the Studio .22+. But there's not really any control over that tube stage since the Lead Master is at the other end of the preamp before the effects loop. I wonder if there's someplace you could add a trim pot to bring down the gain a little on V1.

I've got a Studio .22 just like the picture above, only it's got no eq, and it's cream tolex. (no + ) I got it used in 98 I think, and I have no idea how old it is. It has a Electro voice in it, is that original?
Somebody has put a pot in the back that helps control the gain to the lead channel so it's not so over the top switching from a good clean volume.. but I don't bother with it unless I don't have my effects board. Works, tho.
Effects loop and direct out. (Anybody ever use direct out playing live?)
It's been a great amp, Ive used it with a cab for gigs, very loud for 20w.
It fell 5 feet once and you'd never know. I use Sovteks in it, mostly because I can get matched sets of Sovteks easier around here. Iv'e never tried anything else, I don't know much about tubes, do they really change the tone that much?
It's has a really bright tone , sometimes too much for me, I try to keep the treble down , and on my guitar a bit too.

I've got one too that I just picked up used. I need to replace the "Volume" and "Treble" pots. anybody know what they are?

Assuming the .22 Plus uses the same pots as the older .22 and Studio Series, Volume should be 1M, and the Treble should be 250k.

Before you replace the pots, have you tried cleaning them first? If not, spray some tuner cleaner into them and turn the knobs back and forth a few times. (Of course, do this with the power off, and you have to remove the chassis from the cabinet to get to the openings in the pot housings. Be sure to use tuner cleaner, not contact cleaner).

To answer ned, I can't speak for the later .22 Plus models, but the sound I get from my Studio Series (early version of the .22) blows me away every time I hear it, and I've owned this amp since it was built in 1985. The original speaker from the factory was crap. I ran an EVM 12L in it for a while, but I've since switched to the 90W Celestion Black Shadow and I think it's the perfect speaker for the .22.

StudioSeries1.jpg

Latest posts

Back