Studio 22 with eq, what's next!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwdude

Reaction score
Just picked up a Studio 22 with eq., sounds good already but perhaps it could be even better!

First boogie and my first "vintage" tube amp.....

Do I change all the tubes for new straight away? Any other good ideas?

It seems to have a mix of JJ and electro harmonix in right now.....

but I have no way of telling how old they are....

Congrats on the purchase! I bought a Studio .22 non-plus without EQ about a month and a half ago, and I recently got a Studio .22+ with EQ which is intended to replace it but it's in the shop right now.

I usually like to replace tubes if they are of unknown provenance. Worst case scenario is that they didn't actually need replacing and you just spent ~$100 on a backup set.

My .22+ sounds good on the rhythm mode (can't get the lead mode to work on it yet) but the .22 sounds a little darker and less articulate, which makes me think that it may need a cap job. That's maybe something to consider if you're not happy with the tone, given the age of the amp. Otherwise, just play it and enjoy it!

I've only done two things to my Studio .22+ since I got it about four or five years ago. I replaced V2 with an old tube of unknown origin. Just an old 12AX7 I had laying around. It smoothed the distortion and warmed up the whole amp. (That tube died and it now has a newer tube that doesn't make noise, but doesn't sound quite as good) I replaced the speaker with an old Altec 417-8H that I bought to put in my MK I RI, but the EV it came with sounds better, so the Altec went into the Studio. It works well for the sound I'm after. It's a great little amp. I bought it just to have a grab and go jam amp and I've ended up using it for 85% of the gigs I play. And I have some nice amps! :D

Enjoy your new amp!

Latest posts

Back