Studio .22+ vs. Subway Rocket

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio .22+, Subway Rocket, or Express 5:25?

• Studio .22+

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Subway Rocket

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Express 5:25

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vince in Philly

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forum and am the original owner of a Mark IIC+ Simul-Class Boogie. I love everything about the amp except for the weight. Mesa separated my old combo into a separate amp head and speaker cabinet years ago, but after two back surgeries it's still too much to lug around. I really need a combo amp under 40 pounds and 20 watts is plenty for me. Looks like either the Studio .22+ or the Subway Rocket should fit the bill. I'm interested in hearing which of those two amps will be closer in tone to my Mark IIC+. I especially love the overdrive channel, so that's my focus. Can I get that sound out of one of these two or should I be looking at a newer Boogie like the Express 5:25?

I just voted for the 22 because I recently acquired one and am loving it. To be fair though, it is the only mesa I have ever played!

I have never played the .22, but I can say that every Boogie I have played with a 10" speaker did not sound so good. I have a Subway Blues, and I ended up putting it in a head shell and running it into a 1x12 or 1x15 cabinet and it sounds soooo much better. So, I just recommend to stay away from the 10" speaker cabinets.

Why not MESA lunch pail amps?

Unless you are finicky with reverb, portability of lunch pail amp is a great option. You would have to get a reverb outboard gear though.

... and you would have to lug around a separate 1-12".

Studio 22 (or 22+) is a versatile, and wonderfully light-weight amp. Incidentally it comes with a 12" speaker.

Back