Studio 22/ Studio 22+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Pitman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm fortunate in having a Studio 22 and a Studio 22+, both stock but both very different.

Wondering if anyone has a link to specific details around the differences between the two.

The reason I ask is that they are both very different. The Studio 22 has JJ tubes and sounds just wonderful, really creamy overdrive, amazing breakup and warm round cleans. The studio 22 plus sounds good but is harsher and much warmer (it currently has Marshall power tubes so will be somewhat off bias).

I'm intrigued as to why they sound so different - I'm intending to order new JJ tubes for the Studio 22+ as they have impressed me so much in the Studio 22. If I could make them sound broadly the same it would be great.

Out of interest I am also using the FX return as a "power amp in" from a Boogie Quad pre amp, sounds amazing from either the 22 or 22+.

Appreciate any comments or advice - thanks !

Maybe you got confused between the 22+ and the 50+.
The 22+ has 2 EL-84s.

A friend of mine and I both have the 22+. His has been through the trenches (and looks it) and mine could almost pass for new. But they both work perfectly.
He uses the JJ el84's and they do sound great plus he has had them for about three years and the amp is used almost daily...that's darn good durability if you ask me! :D

I have not tried them in mine as I don't play mine all that much and I have a couple extra sets of Mesa tubes lying around already.
As far as sound quality compares, most folks seem to prefer mine, but I have a better speaker (c90 celestion) in mine and we feel that is the main difference.
If I needed new tubes, I would try the JJ! :)

As far as the circuit difference in the 22 and 22+, I always thought it was a matter of added features more than circuit and tone differences.
You can always call Mesa. I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you the exact differences.
If you do, let us know what they say! :D

Thanks ! Excellent points.

I have owned a Mark IV combo, one of the first in the UK in the early 1990s, 3 Quads, a DC-5 and a DC-10 and the Studio 22 continues to blow me away. Will try and find another one, just in case.

I will put JJs in the 22+ and report back on my findings.

Appreciate the discussion!

I also have a Celestion 90 in my .22+ and have also sent it to Mike Bendinelli to add an additional volume pot at the back of the chassis in order to make the 2 channels more useful.

OK - I've popped the JJ's in the 22+ and the sound has improved - less mushy and clearer highs. Still nowhere as good as the Studio 22 though. I will mail boogie and ask for two circuit diagrams. Wonder if the 22+ can be modded to be the same as the 22 ? the latter is distinctly better to my ears.

So a Celestion 90 is recommended ? - thanks

Schematic heaven has both diagrams:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/boogieamps/boogie_22cal.pdf

http://www.schematicheaven.com/boogieamps/boogie_22calplus.pdf

Without going over absolutely every component, a quick glance tells me they are the same basic circuit, but you can study them on your own....
Here's an idea...swap out the entire tube set between each to see if that is what makes the difference.....even same brands and "types" may not sound the same. I assume you have the same speaker in both?

And yes I like the c90 in mine very much...I tried a V30 but it sounded way too bright in that amp, IMO. So I put the c90 back in.

Take care! :D

The MC-90 was the difference between my being ready to sell the Studio .22+ and it becoming my go-to amp over three vintage Fender amps...It brings sparkle and warmth to the otherwise very well-designed Studio .22+ (really did not like the VS-12 speaker-WAAY too much midrange "honk").

thanks everyone - good discussion - does the MC-90 just screw straight in ? no need to drill new holes in the speaker baffle ? thanks!

i am tempted just to buy one given these glowing recommendations

There are differences in the preamp. Slight though. Actually the position of the master volume. But, maybe there are differences in the components. Mesa used to use whatever was available and acceptable didn't they? Plus the fluctuations for some components of the same brand and type plus your personal tonal prefference (maybe someone would choose the .22+) and you got a reasonable explanation?

Back