Studio .22+ speaker replacement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Anthony

Reaction score
I have had a Studio Series and a Studio .22+. Liked both amps, but not the stock speaker's ratty sound. I put a Celestion Greenback in the Series, and it fattened and focused the sound. The Vintage 30 is supposed to be even better (or the Mojotone BV30V-USA made!). For the +, I just put in a Celestion Black Shadow 90-I am ready to play hooky from work and play this amp all day. What a difference! It takes away the overwhelming midrange and introduces warm low and chimey high,s and with the gain channel it is much richer! Even better is using an additional cabinet (in my case, a rotating speaker. Oooohh.) I would definitely recommend this swap if you want more headroom and better tonal range.

I currently use a C90 in my 22+....actually the speaker it came with as an upgrade option.
I did try a V30 for a while and found it was not as good a match as the C90.

The V30 was more sensitive so it made the amp louder with less power consumed. That was nice.
But the amp, at only 22 watts, inherently lacks low end and the C90 produces the lows better, making the 22+ sound a bit warmer. The V30 was a little too 'brittle' in the 22+, IMHO.

That V30 is now in one of my 1x12 cabs that I use with my Ace. (The other 1x12 has a C90, and the 2 together sound awesome with the Ace.)

The C90 stays in the 22+ from now on. :)

That's pretty much what I would think. With the VS-12, the Studio .22+ HATED my AmStd Strat with CS69 pickups, now it goes "oooh yeah!" with the 90s-I always found that humbuckers and Lace Sensors had better results-I will give it the test drive today. I figure what I lost in volume I made up for in tone and versatility. I'll take tone and versatility.

Bob Anthony said:
I always found that humbuckers and Lace Sensors had better results-I will give it the test drive today. I figure what I lost in volume I made up for in tone and versatility. I'll take tone and versatility.

That's how I look at it...and I always use humbuckers (in the bridge, anyway). :D

I might have to pick one of them up and try it. I replaced my stock speaker with a eminence GB-12 and I do like it better for the sound I like (ac/dc type sound) than the stock one.

I didn't know there was a speaker upgrade with the 22+. An old friend of mine moved back into town and has a studio 22, I'll ask him what speaker came in his.

Yes. The Celestion 90 was an upgrade to the VS-12. I currently have it in my Studio .22+ and it sounds very nice.

I am thinking of trying it with a Celestion G12H-100 speaker (the old version of the G12K-100). Any advice?
Thanks.

in theory,the bigger the power rating of the speaker,the bigger the headroom?or has it smth to do with the Sensitivity in dB?if i want bigger headroom,should i go for a higher power rating of the speaker or for the higher sensitivity?thx

Latest posts

Back