Studio 22 Refurb (new tubes, scratchy pots)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwightX

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Newbie here seeking some advice.

I'm the original purchaser of a very early non-EQ model "studio series" 22 amp. I bought the amp probably in the summer of 1986 right after they came out when in college. It was played hard and loud daily for a couple of years, but then the real world (career, marriage, etc) came along. I kept playing my acoustic regularly, but ended up selling off most of my electric gear.

I've recently started playing electric again, and pulled my old Boogie out of the basement. It was covered with an inch of dust inside and out, but still sounds pretty good. The pots are really terrible though! All but one sounds like a needle scratching across a record when turned. The tubes are original, and were probably in dire need of replacement when the amp was placed in storage 20+ years ago.

Here are a couple of questions;
(1) I've read on the net that the solution to scratchy pots is a small spray of DeoxIt in the hole on the back of the pot. Then work the knob a dozen or so times to clear things up. The only problem I see with this is getting access to the back of the pots!

I might be able to reach them with the spray straw, but it seems the task would be a lot easier with the chassis pulled out of the cabinet. Today I removed all the tubes and four screws on top, but no matter what I'd do the chassis would not budge. What am I missing here?

(2) As far as tubes, I'm reading over the forum posts and see a lot of good things about EuroTubes. Is this a good place to get my new valves from or is it better to go with Mesa?

Any advice is gratefully appreciated!

I've taken my Studio 22+ head out of the cabinet several times. Removing the 4 screws on the top should be all you need, you may have to get a LITTLE more physical with it, seeing as its been sitting for so long (I take no responsibility for damage incurred by my advice, haha). Good luck, great amp!

Pots need to be cleaned then relubed. It's very important that they be relubed or the wiper will "sand off" the track inside the pot after you clean it. Once that thin little track is damaged the pot is trash.

Most techs I've worked with prefer the 2 step LPS stuff. LPS PSC is the plastice safe cleaner. LPS1 is the lube. Radio Schiesse sells a "cleaner/lube" that is OK

When you're working inside of anybody's tube amp Watch it!

Undischarged caps can kill you deader than Elvis! If you don't know what I mean find out before you start poking around.

Good luck.

Back