Stratocaster tone with a DC5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstringpsycho

Reaction score
anyone care to post some settings they use with their Stratocasters, clean and lead channels. I just got a strat and am testing out some settings.

Clean I keep it pretty much the same as my other guitars, just changing the presence to taste: Also for all these settings the GEQ is completely bypassed on both channels.

Gain- 3
Treble- 5
Mid- 3
Bass- 3
Presence - whatever sounds good guitar specific.
Reverb- 6-7, again to your preference
Master- 3

Gives a good straight forward jazz/blues/whatever clean bell tone with my strat with dimarzios. Overdrive pedals sound great with these settings.

For lead I mix it up alot differently than with my humbucker equipped guitars. I try to go for that really smooth compressed lead tone like Eric Johnson or Allan Holdsworth. Most importantly I boost it with a BB preamp with gain and volume at 5, and treble and bass at 0, this really gives it more singing qualities and a compressed feel. Although you can get similar results with any tubescreamer or w/e.

Gain-6
Treble- 4-5 (depends on the room I'm in)
Mid- 5
Bass- 3 (usually kept at 2, but at 3 it seems to fatten up the highs)
Presence- 4 to 2
Reverb- 5
Master- 4

If I really want to make my bandmates mad, I set the GEQ to an almost upside down V curve, so the mid line is near the top and bass and treble are under the middle line, while the 2 and 4 sliders are at the middle. This really engages the Eric Johnson liquid tone that feels like you can just eat it up. Its cool for me, but pretty much can cut through a cement wall. :lol:

for my part, I use a HSS Strat, and my settings are (with a DC10) :

Clean : gain 3 / bass 5 / mid 3 / treble 7 / presence near to the minimum
Lead : gain 4 / bass 5 / mid 3 / treble 5 / presence near to the minimum

between guitar and amp I add a BB preamp set to boost mode (volume at 2 o'clock, gain at 8 o'clock)

this gives me great andy timmons like clean sounds, and very smooth lead tones

I find the saturation a bit too raw without the BB. The BB makes it smoother to my ears.

edit : I use the GEQ only when I want a 80's metal sound (set to a rather flat V)

My strat is a USA Deluxe with the S1 switching and I think the pickups are hotter and not as bright as vintage pickups. I keep settings the same for all guitars and I use a DC-10 head with a 2x12 3/4 cab.

Clean: gain=6-7, treble=6, mid=5, bass=5, pres=0-3, master=3-4
Lead: gain=6, treble=6, mid=4-6, bass=3, pres=4, master=4

GEQ set on lead channel only with very mild "V" with no slider moved off center more than the height of the slider cap in either direction.

Eric Johnson strat to analogman King of Tone pedal
Dr T M B R P
Clean: 4 5 4 6 2 3
Drive: 5 4 3 6 3 4

The king of tone gives me a boost or more drive. I use my volume and tone control on the strat to final touch the tone.

Peace
Play Music
Rico

I'm using a Fender American Standard HSS (The Ash bodied option, with a maple fingerboard) as my main guitar with the DC-5 combo which I setup like so:

DR, T, M, B, P, R, M
Clean- 5, 4, 6, 4, 4.5, 5, 6.
Drive- 4, 6, 6.5, 2, 0, 2, 4.

I keep an OD, a Compressor and a Delay on a pedalboard and between them and these settings I can't go wrong when it comes to calling up a wide variety of tones.

Back