Strat Pickup suggestions - please help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauloc79

Reaction score
Hi Guys i'm looking for some help choosing new pickups for my fender strat.

I have just finished building a new strat (late 80's custom shop maple neck and nitro alder satin body) with a humbucker and two single coils. I put a seymour duncan fullshred in the bridge and texas specials in middle and neck on a five way switch. After 3 months i don't like the sound at all, and i'm thinking of going in a totally different direction.... something more modern with a chunkier sound which will work both clean and dirty. I have two other strats which i love the sound of but want something different with this new strat. I use the neck pickup a lot for lead, I am looking for a fatter creamier sound.

I've just picked up a dimarzio evo for the bridge and wanted suggestions for the middle and neck- so far contenders are Dimarzio cruisers (really like andy timmons' tone) or maybe some of the seymour duncan hotrails or single coil sized humbuckers- maybe even Lace Sensors?

My other guitars are:

Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat rosewood neck- dimarzio hs-3 and yjm pups- tone disconnected. This is a great sounding guitar with a super creamy lead sound on the neck which cleans up beautifully.

Fender Deluxe Players Strat ash body, rosewood neck with vintage noiseless pups.
Really great sounding guitar (noiseless pups don't deserve the stick they get) superb for gilmour style lead, really great clean sound not exactly vintage but somewhere there abouts.

I'm running the guitars through:

Mesa Express 5:25
2x12 Recto Cab V30's
THD Hotplate

pedals
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Analogue man DOD YJM 308

Any suggestions would be much appreciated- as i don't want to waste money and time trying lots of different combinations.

cheers
Paul

I like the Suhr Fletcher-Landau standards for the neck and middle and a DSH for the bridge.

can't go wrong with bill lawrence, and the bang for the buck is the best.

Bill Lawrence technology seems to find its way into Fender's pickup technology anyway (ie: noiseless single coils). Why pay more for the name?

the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Pickups are amazing, they have huge tone.....I installed them in a friend's strat (my old strat) and it brought that thing to life like no other......

-AJH

I'd also recommend Jason Lollar's offerings. Relatively unknown in some circles, the only choice in others.

:arrow: http://www.lollarguitars.com/

:wink:

After auditioning many sets, I have settled on two.

My top choice is Fenders Robert Cray Custom Shop models, only available via fleabay, unless you buy a cray model strat.

My second choice are Dimarzio Blue Velvet's

Decca said:
I installed a set of Jeff Beck pups and love their tone...

Decca

Can you provide a link? Where do you find these? I have had this same suggestion given to me a few times recently, but I cant really find anything called a Jeff Beck pickup......

soundchaser59 said:
Decca said:
I installed a set of Jeff Beck pups and love their tone...

Decca

Can you provide a link? Where do you find these? I have had this same suggestion given to me a few times recently, but I cant really find anything called a Jeff Beck pickup......

I believe he used to use Lace Sensors and more recently switched to "Ceramic Noiseless Pickups" that are on his newer Custom Shop Strats. You might want to contact Fender and see what model pickups they are, they aren't labeled "Jeff Beck" signature Pickups. Might just be the original Ceramic Vintage Noisless p/u's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Jeff_Beck_Stratocaster

-AJH

I have had Bill Lawrence pickups.. a bunch of Duncans... a Schecter... and a few others. For the bridge position on a strat/bolt on neck, the nicest double coil humbucker pickup I've found so far is the Dimarzio Breed. It is a really nice sounding pickup that is articulate and splits really well (amazing strat sounds). For clean stuff or mildly gritty it is amazing in the split coil mode. It also cleans up really well when you back down on the guitars volume knob. It's better sounding than any single coil strat pickup I've ever played on. I've been playing for 30 years. My next choice for the bridge position would be something from Bare Knuckle.

Latest posts

Back