STR-420 6L6's in C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreeve25

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone have any experience w/ Mesa STR-420's in C+ amps?

I just picked up a new matched quad of them for $60.00 shipped. I figured, they were worth a shot.

Opinions would be great!

Thanks,
Michael

They're OK. I tried them in my C+ combo (no EQ). They were a bit soft for the amp and I preferred the current 440's because they had more "oomph" and pushed a bit harder/drove more gain. That being said though, I prefer the 420's for Rectifiers because they smoothen the amp out.

hey,

nice pickup... I replaced all the tubes in my 2:90 that I got new in 1994... was loaded wit STR-420's. I tested them and half were still new. I haven't tried them yet in my IIC+, but they were great in the 2:90. I'll probably give them a try.

scott

About 9 months ago, I pulled 4 of the STR 420's out of my 2:90 and put them in my 60/100 IIC+ (ie, not simulclass). For the previous 6 months, I had been using 4 new STR 440's direct from Mesa. I didn't really like the 440s. I liked the 420s a lot better. They were a bit softer-edged than the 440s...in a good way. Of course, the 420s were a lot more used than the 440s, so maybe that had more to do with it.

About 6 months ago, I got a quad of Winged C. I like these the best so far.

All of the changes in sound have been subtle...440 -> 420 -> Winged C. I'm not claiming that I'd hear a difference in a double-blind placebo trial or anything. But, I do feel that there was a difference. Unless your old tubes are beat to hell, don't expect a jaw-doppingly huge change when you put in new ones.

My opinion.

Chip

Latest posts

Back