STP sound with a Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrake

Reaction score
hey guys,

all these years i've been playing really heavy music and pretty much found the heaviest metal sounding crunch sound ever!

but lately i've been getting into stuff like STP and love his sound. i don't have a clue how to dial up light distortion or what channel to use on my dual rectifier. i'm assuming channel 2 but what mode? i've noticed that the dude from STP plays alot of open (folk) chords and they sound rich and bright. although i can play these chords and other open chords i've never tried it since my distortion was always so heavy. how can i achieve that sound?

if anyone can give me some pointers that would be great! thanks.

domct203 said:
Try RAW mode with a boost in front of the amp.

Dom

i stopped using the TS9 but i'll try it with your suggestion. thanks!

I found the TS-9 to suck too much bass from the signal, and it just didn't seem to have much "ommph" to it.

Same goes for the Boss SD-1 & DS-1 I tried.

I picked up a Radial Engineering PB-1 Class A booster pedal and could not be happier. It makes the amp feel really "alive", and does not suck any tone (that I can notice).

Dom

domct203 said:
I found the TS-9 to suck too much bass from the signal, and it just didn't seem to have much "ommph" to it.

Same goes for the Boss SD-1 & DS-1 I tried.

I picked up a Radial Engineering PB-1 Class A booster pedal and could not be happier. It makes the amp feel really "alive", and does not suck any tone (that I can notice).

Dom

i looked into it. looks tempting... might pick one up :)

Gonna be hard to nail that one as it's a very british sound (EL34's and EL84s), he uses marshalls and vox amps. I'd say get a marshally overdrive and run it on the clean channel.

I'm pretty sure he's using AC30's and STP usually has some form of chorus as well.

In my cover band I only use chorus for 80's hair tunes and STP (Plush, Interstate).

As mentioned earlier, they use Vox. That distinctive tone you're after is due to the trademark sound of a Class-A EL84 power section. Many of the suggestions mentioned will get you close, but none of them will reproduce the distinct tone of an EL-84. If you want to reproduce the sound, buy some THD Yellowjackets and EL84s.

Dean runs a a boss CE-1 with one of the stereo outputs going to an S.I.B. overdrive into the AC30 and the other stereo output to his Demeter TGP-3 preamp and VHT classic stereo power amp to a Marshall Cab.

If you listen closely you can hear the layered sound of hte CE-1 with the vox over his Detmer/VHT

Tt sounds like the VHT is dirty and the Vox set up fairly clean for that nice chime and chorus swirl.

demeter schmeeter. just use channel 3 on vintage. tube and spongy. gain at 10:00 and eq to taste depending on that cab and guitar of yours. use his tones as a starting point and come up with your own.

BENNY said:
demeter schmeeter. just use channel 3 on vintage. tube and spongy. gain at 10:00 and eq to taste depending on that cab and guitar of yours. use his tones as a starting point and come up with your own.

cool, i'll try that! thanks :)

Latest posts

Back