Stoopid Studio Caliber (DC-2?) questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grindliner

Reaction score
I'm not really up on the older boogies, but am curious,

Are the Studio Caliber, and a DC-2 the same thing?

How do they sound at low (think bedroom type) volumes?

Would it be worth it to drive for an hour and a half to buy one for $300?

I have played a Mark IV, and thought it sounded pretty good at low volumes.

I'm still trying to find the best bang for the buck low volume boogie!

I love the LSS, but too pricey, I thought the 5:25 was unimpressive, and I didn't like the F-30 at all.

Yes, the DC-2 and Studio Caliber are the same thing. I could be wrong (someone please correct me if I am), but earlier DC-2 versions (no contour) just say "Studio Caliber" on the control panel. My version is the later version with the contour switch, and it says "Studio Caliber DC-2" on the control panel. As far as low volume goes, I think it is a matter of taste. I love mine for bedroom level playing, and used it last night while my wife was asleep. I don't have the Mark IV yet, so I can't compare the two.

I purchased my DC-2 with the matching Thiele cabinet a year ago for $700 (used), and both are dead mint (still smell like new). I am very picky, and would only purchase an amp in close to mint condition. If you have seen detailed pictures of the amp and are satisfied with the condition, I don't see any trouble with driving the distance to purchase it for $300. Many of these amps sell for more than $300 on eBay. It's really up to you, and given the price of gasoline these days you have to weigh the condition/price of the amp with the cost of traveling.

I like the DC-2, and it suits me just fine. However, for just a bit more money you may find a DC-3 and have access to a graphic eq and more power (30 watts from four EL-84's). I love my DC-2 and don't regret not having the extra watts and equalizer. However, you must make that decision for yourself. I suspect most would advise to get the DC-3 because of the extra power and sonic shaping capability. I will say my DC-2 is the loudest 25 watt amp I have ever played, and it sounds like a 50 watt amp with the Thiele added into the equation. Hope this helps, good luck with your search.

Hi Gridliner,

I can't remember the specific "studio caliber" moniker, but if it is, indeed, a DC2 with two discreet channels (and duplicated row of knobs), then I'd say a resounding "yes" ; $300 is a great deal for that amp and easily worth the drive at that price.

You will not have a problem with the "low wattage" ...I've played out with 20 Fender watts ...Boogie watts are louder :)
I also used to have a Subway which is the same 20 "dyna watts" ...that amp had NO problem keeping up with a drummer/bassist, should you ever go that way. And a cab like the aforementioned thiele is a monumental improvement ...consider that for the future.

As for bedroom level, I haven't played a DC2 so can't comment. But FWIW, I can play my DC5 at bedroom levels w/o a problem, and the tone is excellent (better, of course, if you steal the opportunities to open her up a bit).

The DC3 is, IMHO, a better amp by sheer virtue of the GEQ and its added versatility, but that easily goes for 5-600 off ebay. If you could swing that, I'd recommend it. Still, at the $300 you're looking at, I'd still buy it just to see if you like it. Hope this helps you a bit.

Edward

This is a follow up to edward's point, for $300 you could probably sell the amp on eBay or elsewhere for the same amount or more if you didn't like it. I use mine at church nearly every sunday, and I stand right next to our drummer and two monitors. I have no trouble cutting through the noise (lots of noise!!) and the amp never sounds like it is struggling to keep up. The DC-2 sounds good on its own and takes pedals very well also.

GET IT!!!!!!!

I've had every version of the DC amps. The DC-2 for $300 is a steal.

Replace the stock tubes and speaker, and you will still have saved over ebay prices.

These amps are definitely worth it.

My DC-2 is a very loud amp for 20/25 watts and you won't get the best out of it at bedroom volumes, but it is very usable. I find the trick is to turn up the master volume to 10 on each preamp channel and then control the overall volume with the output knob, altering the gain to taste. This gives a good range of very lively tones on both the rhythm and lead/contour channels at conversation levels. If you keep the master volume on a low setting I find the amp is a bit lifeless with the output volume down low.

All in all the pre-amp drive from this Boogie is a pleasing option at low levels since output tube distortion isn't really an option at home - even using something like a 5 watt amp.

In any case, here in the UK a mint condition DC-2 would probably be worth £500 / $1,000, so $300 seems a fantastic bargain to me.

Latest posts

Back