stock tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIVwidebody

Reaction score
What are the stock tubes Mesa puts in the Mark IV or what replacement tube would I buy that most closely matches it? Thanks. I was looking at the ones at Doug's Tubes

Good Question. I wonder this also About My Mark III. When I purchased my Mark III new it had huge purple glowing 6L6's. Not the normal size either, they were big bottles. I have not been able to find those tubes since. so any info on stock tubes is always appreciated!

Mine's an'07 and came with 4 x STR440's and 6 x Russian 2's. The Russian 2 is essentially an EH 12ax7, although some of mine have different getters which is odd !!

The getter is the silver flashing on the inside of the bottle. The halo/ring is a leftover artifact from the tube construction. The halo/ring at one time had the getter material on it, after being heated to a very high temperature (around 1600 degrees!) the material, most often barium, vaporizes and as a result is deposited on the bottle's inside. The getter functions to remove unwanted gas from operation inside the tube in order to maintain vacuum.

To be more precise the silver inside the tube is actually the getter flash, and the part that held the actual getter material is the getter assembly or getter ring. Unfortunately the term 'getter' is commonly used to describe the flash or the ring assembly, both not quite correct, but not likely to cause major confusion either way when taken in context !! :D The only time to worry is if the getter flash turns white......

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
To be more precise the silver inside the tube is actually the getter flash, and the part that held the actual getter material is the getter assembly or getter ring. Unfortunately the term 'getter' is commonly used to describe the flash or the ring assembly, both not quite correct, but not likely to cause major confusion either way when taken in context !! :D The only time to worry is if the getter flash turns white......
O.K., Monk, time to take your meds! :D

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
...The only time to worry is if the getter flash turns white......

What happens then? A 12ax7 did that and I figured it can't be good so I chucked it. Just curious.

Latest posts

Back