Stilleto running hot with stock tubes, noisier then DR?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondschwin

Reaction score
as i posted in a new thread i picked up a stilleto deuce head, for the guitar center blow out, and i must say it sounds awesome. I am extremely impressed it sounds like a kick *** old school marshall with mesa quality and versatility! i mean come on!!!!!!!!!!

I am an engineer and I am waiting for the next time i can get a personal session in at the studio and run this through the Neve, double tracking this with my recto will fill out a the whole spectrum of guitar destruction! unfortunately I am not sure where my bandmates Marshall DSL100.... ah well

anyway the question is

what is the operating temperature of your stilettos? Mine isnt making a burning smell or anything i just noticed the control panel plate is noticeably warm, the tubes are all glowing a healthy orange, no discoloration or foginess... also the noise floor is more noticeable on this then my dual rec. it just buzzes more. I have personally only ever owned a dual rectifier and a fender deluxe until now so maybe im thinking EL34s run hot?

what do you think? is your stiletto warm?

I was checking mine out yesterday after gigging with it for 3 hours and I really didn't notice that is was hotter than say my mark iv. After I read this thread I looked at it again just now.. pristine... as goofy as it sounds I never really inspected it closely..but man..what a nice build!! Top notch quality. I've had alot of more expensive amps looked like you had to baby...not this, although I do.

Ah well I have been playing with the amp at high volumes and low volumes, and its getting warm but not hot and no burning smell or anything, i reseated the tubes etc. i will call mesa on monday, i dont think anything is wrong, im just being weary of my new amp! its a new baby!

I think your fine, I've had some really hot amps and this not in that catagory. Also, there are a ton of tubes in there.

Probably nothing to worry about, but consult Mesa just to be sure.

What Neve's do you have...1073, 1272, etc?

Silverwulf said:
Probably nothing to worry about, but consult Mesa just to be sure.

What Neve's do you have...1073, 1272, etc?

the console is kind of a frankenstein job but it has the 1073 pre amps, but i think that at one point it had 1081s but they rebuilt it, the thing sounds pretty good, it belongs to an artist who has a private studio built into there house. But they let me get some time in there when its not in use, the lead singer from my band is working on this same project over there and he plays drums so we cut some stuff for our group in there sometimes.

My Trident runs a hellofalot warmer than my D.R. but,then again,EL34's have always been a warmer ( to the touch) buring tube. Tridents have a fan to take some of the heat away,but yes,if you feel the the front to the right of the power switches,it is warm. I asked Boogie about it...no worries was the replie. Let me know if you hear different.

prs1999 said:
My Trident runs a hellofalot warmer than my D.R. but,then again,EL34's have always been a warmer ( to the touch) buring tube. Tridents have a fan to take some of the heat away,but yes,if you feel the the front to the right of the power switches,it is warm. I asked Boogie about it...no worries was the replie. Let me know if you hear different.

thats exactly what im talking about, to the right of the power switches and output knobs like the logo is hot... i will call tho and post what the response is

yup..same place right over the 'Stiletto" logo. If they tell you the same(thats its normal) thing,then good for us. But I bet within a quick amount of time that screened logo starts to turn color. Maybe it'll add some "mojo" to it...lol

I think its a very economical design. The extra heat means you can turn down your space heater. Keeps you warm during those cold december jams in the drummers garage.

Back