stiletto with oversized recto cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone here use the recto 4x12 and a stiletto? I know the traditional is supposed to be tighter, but I already have a recto cab.

just looking for opinions, other than trade it in... (i also like the look of the giant cab)

I use my stiletto ace with an oversized recto 412. Sounds pretty good to me - better than the avatar 212 (hellatone30/60 combo) that I was using before. The oversized nature of the cab ads some bass and helps tame the sometimes harsh treble of the ace - I find I'm able to run the treble more open on the eq when I play it through the recto cab.

Still have an urge to try a cab loaded with greenbacks with the ace since I hear they make a great combo with the stiletto, but haven't sprung on it yet...

Excuse my stupidity but Ive been trying to figure out which cab is which.

The one that has the wood that comes out further than the rest of the cab is?

I have a traditional slant rectifier. But I've been looking for the cab above.

GIbbage, I believe you are referring to what is a slant of straight cab? that is unrelated to any other style of cab. slants are made to go on top of a straight cab when using a stack, or just project the sound up at the guitarists ears if the only cab.

The recto (oversized) cab is 2 inches taller than the stiletto (traditional) cab.

I think what Gibbyage is referring to is the over sized recto cab with straight sides but angled baffle. I am currently waiting on one from Mesa

hoobafrank just picked up an Ace yesterday, and he uses a 4x12 Standard (oversize) at practice and for gigging. He might be able to give a report if you bug him. :)

As far as Standard vs. Traditional cabs, I used to run my Mark IV through the Standard before I picked up my Traditional. The usual descriptions are pretty spot on. The Standard is a bit looser, has more bass, and is more scooped-sounding.

newfinator said:
I think what Gibbyage is referring to is the over sized recto cab with straight sides but angled baffle. I am currently waiting on one from Mesa

I think thats it. Any pictures?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=99

i believe thats what you want.... probably not in that combo though.

I have both a tradtional and a oversized, i find the oversized to have more sizzle/top end, little less mid's and huge bottem end. I have to EQ my amp different when i switch from one to the other. I can get them both sounding close to the same though and honestly I think they both sound great.

SeasonOfPain said:
hoobafrank just picked up an Ace yesterday, and he uses a 4x12 Standard (oversize) at practice and for gigging. He might be able to give a report if you bug him. :)

As far as Standard vs. Traditional cabs, I used to run my Mark IV through the Standard before I picked up my Traditional. The usual descriptions are pretty spot on. The Standard is a bit looser, has more bass, and is more scooped-sounding.

I always hear that the over-sized has less mids but wonder if that's just perception because of the increased low and top end. Is it that is has less mids or just proportionally less as compared to the top and bottom?

Also, has anyone run a traditional and over-sized at the same time with a Mark? I'm wondering if they compliment or step on each other.

siggy14 said:
I have both a tradtional and a oversized, i find the oversized to have more sizzle/top end, little less mid's and huge bottem end. I have to EQ my amp different when i switch from one to the other. I can get them both sounding close to the same though and honestly I think they both sound great.

SeasonOfPain said:

i use a 2x12 recto cab with a 2x12 roadking cab run with a RK head and i love the combination :twisted:

I have a Stilleto head that I run into an oversize 4x12. It sounds very nice. I play it at church and for my grammy at her old age home and they like it very much. It is very warm and soft sounding, kinda fuzzy. Reminds me of Wayne Newton a little...

:lol: :lol:

Its kick ***. It crunches up nice and balanced and cuts through very nicely when I want to be Joe Rock Star. I play it in a cover band - we play alt stuff mostly. I find it does a great job with the broad variety of sounds I need to have. I get very good clean sounds - nice chorusy and open "cowboy chord" stuff with my PRS and my Strat. I also get very tight bottom end crunch with Hi Gain settings and my Les Paul or my PRS. It is very versatile.

I use it more than I use my Roadster right now. I am struggling with getting the tones I want out of the Roadster, so I use the Stilleto most of the time. I also have a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 head and 2x12 cab that is a gorgeous amp, but the Stilleto right now wins out. I play it in the band and I could play any of the three. Big thumbs up for the Stilleto and Oversize cab from me.

Only problem is carrying it.

Joe

Latest posts

Back