stiletto seris 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpepper

Reaction score
Hey im a new member and have owned a few boogies through the years
I recently bought a stiletto and now all of a sudden they issue this seris 2
well **** does happen and im wondering what exactly they intend on doing with the fluid drive I will admit the fluid drive on my stiletto is pretty
useless and I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any info on this because right now I am contiplateing selling mine and waiting for the seris 2. I feel like I should have waited.

There are few threads about this. Look up the "hollywood mod" to give a rough indication. But to my understanding they tightened it up and added gain. Overall the amp has more punch as well.

well i talked to a rep today. He said that the new stilettos biggest change is the fluid drive. Personally i think he helled back on telling me all the changes. He also said that the series one stiletto is based around the jmp which is a smoother marhsall and the series 2 is based around the jcm. When i asked him how to get more grind out of mine he said to put a fulltone fulldrive pedal infront and that he had great results with his. I dont wanna spend anymore cash on pedals to tell the truth. Does anyone know any big names who used jmp cuz i cant ...but i do know many jcm users.... Also does anybody know of some good way to add grind and grit to a amp without colouring it?

thanks, but i got a feeling the new stiletto is gonna rock pretty hard. He also said that there was mixed feelings about the new on at the office regarding the new stiletto...i wonder why.

Bobbypols said:
Does anyone know any big names who used jmp cuz i cant ...but i do know many jcm users.... Also does anybody know of some good way to add grind and grit to a amp without colouring it?
Aren't JMP includes Super Lead Marshalls? If that's the case all the classic rock guitarists used a JMP at one time or another.

actually the fulldrive pedal from fulltron is a great pedal for just adding gain without colour. Im a huge fan of roccaforte amps which are the perfect marshall (cheaper than bogner and sound way better). Anyways the roccaforte high gain 100 head was demoed with a fulldrive infront of it and without it added that spark of something extra in the drive catagory but did not change the initital sound one ioda. Back to the Stilleto, my only complaint about the head is the fluid drive thats what peaked my intrest in thhe seris two (and the hollywood mod doesn't work for me unless they are able to only consentrate on fluid drive). Plus I live in Canada how the **** am I going to bring my amp to hollywood with out paying a million dollers on shipping and then worrying about it getting trashed by ups or however on the way. Anyways I live all the other modes but the fluid drive sounding waaay to flubby almost makes me feel like I own a dual rectifier without the modern mode funtioning but it's still labled on the chassis. It just feels like somethings missing. Anyways the fulltron is a cool investment.

Bobbypols said:
well i talked to a rep today. He said that the new stilettos biggest change is the fluid drive. Personally i think he helled back on telling me all the changes. He also said that the series one stiletto is based around the jmp which is a smoother marhsall and the series 2 is based around the jcm. When i asked him how to get more grind out of mine he said to put a fulltone fulldrive pedal infront and that he had great results with his. I dont wanna spend anymore cash on pedals to tell the truth. Does anyone know any big names who used jmp cuz i cant ...but i do know many jcm users.... Also does anybody know of some good way to add grind and grit to a amp without colouring it?

thanks, but i got a feeling the new stiletto is gonna rock pretty hard. He also said that there was mixed feelings about the new on at the office regarding the new stiletto...i wonder why.

Cool info!
So if the series ll is going to be based on a "newer" marshall sound, I have a feeling they made some of the changes because of what all the numetal crowd were saying about it. Not enough gain, flubby, etc.

Wonder what the mixed feelings were?

The truth is the fluid drive isnt all that bad sounding when soloing single notes that are in the upper registries. Essiently its any chord or low notes that get flabby fast. Hopefully my jj's will tighten that up...still waiting on them..its been 9 shipping days so far :(

RR said:
Bobbypols said:
Does anyone know any big names who used jmp cuz i cant ...but i do know many jcm users.... Also does anybody know of some good way to add grind and grit to a amp without colouring it?
Aren't JMP includes Super Lead Marshalls? If that's the case all the classic rock guitarists used a JMP at one time or another.

JMP are the model from 69 till 81 then jcms took over.

I'm glad to hear that you talked to the Mesa rep and he distinguished what Series I and Series II were attempting to emulate. I have the Series I with the Hollywood mod done to it. I bought it to get that early Van Halen sound from it. I feel like I am getting **** close to his sound. I guess the JMP/Plexi sound was what I was after and the Series I is getting it. wheeeww!

Actually thats great that they did that I love the sound of the Stilleto series 1 for old el-34 amp sound. In fact I am thinking about getting a seris two for variety reasons (of coarse if it sounds good and lives up to what was promised). When I first found out about the sereis two I was a little disgruntled because it sounded like Mesa considered the series 1 a mistake but after finding out the previous info It all makes sense (except for the fluid drive that channel still pisses me off and I can't mod it because they aparently only mod walk in's and I live in Canada). Then again I bought the amp for the 5 other preamp modes and overall classic sound so I will shut up already.

Actually i have been fooling around with the stiletto and a eq pedal MXR 6 band. I find that if you really push up the upper mid freq. i think 800 that it really acts like a jcm 800. Gives it more of that clanky spiky grind. This is pre amp not, fx loop placement.Also you remove the bass and your starting to really hit the jcm 800 range. I got the idea after reading up on scholtz from boston and what he did to de-marshall his marshall....i just did the opposite...i think thats what i did...i cant remember now....anyways he gives that nasalily marshall sound. Try it out and of course its a rough guide depending on many things and tell me what you come up with...

Also when i asked about getting more marshall grind, the mesa rep..West, told me that the stiletto was made to go really well with pedals. He said he had great results with the fulltone fulldrive 2, and that the ts 9 alone wasnt the greatest due to the mids peak. He also said that he had great results with the fulltone first and the ts 9 second. Has anyone tried the fulldrive??? im wondering if that will tighten up the drive and give that jcm 800 grind?

Also while on pedals, i ve want to know who has experience with Tim overdrive pedal and keeley time machine. Keeley says his time machine pedal (which sounds awesome from the clips) is totally transparent..which is full of crap...Any comments???

Can somebody tell me what "jmp" stands for?

Bobbypols,
I don't have my Tim OD yet, but I do have a Timmy which is basically the same thing as the Tim with it's boost on. I have'nt tried many OD's, but I can say that of the one's i've tried it's very transparent and amp like. It's a mild OD/clean boost, and I really like it. Definately no midrange hump like a TS9. But I like those too. :)

xnfx said:
Can somebody tell me what "jmp" stands for?

Bobbypols,
I don't have my Tim OD yet, but I do have a Timmy which is basically the same thing as the Tim with it's boost on. I have'nt tried many OD's, but I can say that of the one's i've tried it's very transparent and amp like. It's a mild OD/clean boost, and I really like it. Definately no midrange hump like a TS9. But I like those too. :)

JMP= Jim Marshall Products :)

Latest posts

Back