Stiletto Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave a crap, and gave a suggestion! But really, I don't understand your issue with compression? I always percieved it as a natural occurence with the addition of gain to a signal. The Plexi sound? I don't believe Mesa's intentions with the Stilleto's were to recreate the tones of yesteryear, but rather, to forge a new one that compliments that of a Dual Rectifier! To add, my Dual Rec sounds a little different with the f/x loop engaged also! I would attribute it to the fact that another pre-amp tube is added into the mix! Good Luck on your quest for the Grailtone!

jbird... Thanks for your reply.

It's just more compression than any other amp I've owned is all. Actually, I can get that thing to sound Plexiesque without the loop.

I swapped V4 and V5 today. Got a gig tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

I know you guys think I'm nutz but I ain't, really! :lol:

I'm also interested to see what Eurotubes tells bobbypols. :!:

Thanks again gentlemen.

Bad news prs geek... this is Bobs response,

Hi Rob:

Half of the V4 tube is FX send and the other half is the FX return. This
tube does compress if the signal send to it is too hot. Turn down the output
of your FX and see if this helps.

Let me know.

Thanks

Bob.

The bad news is that im sure you have heard this before...in research....hope i helped...I beleive you know how to turn down your fx loop since you have had it for at least a year. Let me know what events are to come...

thanks PRS

Yo bobbypols... "Rob"?

Thanks for your help! Guess I owe you one...

Yeah, you're right, I've tried it every way... I still get compression. At least you know I ain't nutz.

I just wanna' know how this kind of $$$ doesn't get you an FX loop that works WITH you?

I have to spend 6 zillion bucks for an amp head? Wish I wasn't so picky.

Onward and forward... Thanks again :!:

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but I swapped the V4 and V5 preamp tubes last night AND didn't touch my PRS CU 24. I played a lower output G&L Legacy HB (H/S/S cinfiguration). The HB is a Duncan JB. Not to mention this was a corporate party and I wasn't really playing as hard as I usually do.

Didn't make one bit of difference with the compression issue. In fact, it may have "seemed" worse.

It's a coated/veiled sound. DEFinitely compression added to the signal.

OK, assuming you have your signal levels at unity gain, I'm gonna blame it on the f/x unit! Something about the a/d converters! Also, there have been people forever unhappy working with parallel f/x loops! Consider trying an analog effect through the loop or modding the loop to Series. :idea:

"bobbypols"... Actually, I just swapped the V4 and V5 that were already in there. Preamp tubes don't wear in 10 months like a power toob does. My other thought was it may change the gain structure if I were to buy new preamp tubes. The gain structure is fine the way it is. But I'm going to call Mesa today and see if that would make a difference. I already asked the Mesa dude if I should try a cold 5751 in there, and he said "no".

"jbird"... Maaaaan. When I was using my rack, I had a TC G Major, and the nicer Korg tuner and that was it! I messed with unity gain so much you wouldn't believe it. All I have in the loop now is a Boss DD 20 Giga Delay at +4... Modding an amps FX loop after basically paying list price (because it was new) really ticks me off. I'd rather sell it to be honest.

I may investigate a Bogner Shiva. But those things are like $2200.

I just got back from a break so haven't had a chance to comment yet.

Your loop will compress a little. That's just life. I've never come across a loop that didn't compress a little. But I too believe your Boss pedal is not helping.

I use the TC G-major because it is very quiet. Every pedal I have used through my loops always sounded far more compressed. Now all I use is a Dunlop Wah in the front end and the G-major in the loop. That's it.

Do you still have your g-major???

Sanchez

Hi Sanchez... Yeah, I still have the G Major, and that's what I've BEEN using till recently. It's about the same compression situation. The DD 20 does have a +4 setting. Really, it's about the same. Not to mention, I like the delays in the DD 20 better believe it or not.

With either rig patched into the loop, it's still more compression than I've ever experienced and I've been doing rack stuff since about '87.

Thry changing this setting on your g-major and let me know what difference (if any) it makes.

Check these two things within your I/O menu and let me know what the settings are:

1) Input Range: Pro or Consumer? Pro is the recommended default, but consumer works better with guitar amps. I'm not sure why they made Pro the default...

2) What is your output range (2dBu, 8dBu, 14dBu or 20dBu?) 14 is the default, but I use 20dBu for a little higher output.

When I changed the setting to Consumer it opened up my tone by a huge margin.

Sanchez

Prs, i just used an eq with my stiletto (mxr 6 band), and was able to spike up the tops and bottom which helped remove any compression i was recieving (albiet limited compression). Also gave that nice grainy top end ala plexi. I forgot to mention it sooner sorry. Also i found that my TS-9 clone tightened and cleaned things up. I know ud rather sell the mesa, but find a major store with a money back gaurentee and try an eq then return. Also i second the fact that boss products compress the sound... the only product form boss i can live with is the tu-2 and even then...meh its cuz i cant afford another one.

hope it helps

Sanchez... I'd LIKE to do what you're asking, but really, I've downsized on purpose, so even messing with the rack again is not an option right now. I was taking 6 trips in and out of 100 gigs a year and got sick and tired of that. I only have 4 now, and I like it that way! 8)

Really, I don't think it's the pedal because it has the +4 option. The loop is not sending instrument level signal. I don't think. :?

Rob... I just don't want more stuff in that loop. It's just masking something else. I know, but if it helps, do it, right. :?:

Just can't put stuff in that loop. Either I'm going to deal with it the way it is or buy something else.

Have you heard those Bogner Shiva clips...? Holy cow, I love those tones.

Shivas are nice but expensive. What sound are u going for? Germino are nice, Fargans are nice, bogners are nice but sooo expensive.

Well man... I'm in Columbus OH. We have Sam Ash and GC... When it comes to amps they have squat. There's a smaller store where I bought the Stiletto and he's also a Bogner Dealer. He was at the Columbus Guitar Show Sunday and I was looking for some 18-50 Plexi type stuff for recording. But I digress.

Was talking to him about the Stiletto and that I was considering changing. Said to come over to the store tonite and try one of the guitar teacher's Shivas. So, I went on line and heard some great clips of the Shiva Sunday nite.

Today I did some research. The clean channel may be TOO clean for me live... but those clips... Lord... Beautiful. Plexiesque, but dark and awesome lead tones. Thick as hell. Marshall heaven. But this guy is a real good player. If I can get those sounds..................

However, "studies show" problems with the loop. So, I'm gonna give it a whirl tonight. Also complaints about the shared Master Volume. I'll just have to see for myself is all.

http://www.bogneramplification.com/ Check out Jeff McErlain's MP3 clips. That's a LOT the sound I'm going for.

Thats some dark sound u want there. In my opinion most are acheviable by the stiletto, however i can see that all and all the overtone of that amp. You should try a fuchs overdrive...pretty dark but may not pull of the plexi so well, in which case they have a el 34 based amp that might be right up your ally.

I played the Shiva head last night. I could get harmonic feedback from almost any setting at will, as long as the amp was loud enough. I was very impressed. I'm not sure it's THE amp for me, but I'd probably buy one used just to try it out on gigs for a few months. Problem is, I can't get one around here. They're 6-8 weeks out from ordering. And I hate buying something like this new and find out it's not for me and get eaten alive on resale.

I'm not an ebay guy either. If one turns it's head and winks at me, I'd buy it in a NY minute.

Wow, that's the strangest thing! The Bogner's have such a pronounced compression to they're gain structure! :eek:

It's a totally different sound of compression. My Stiletto get's almost gooey and quite vailed. The Bogner isn't even close. In fact, I went out to hear the dude that owns that amp I played last night at his gig. He had a bunch of stuff in his loop. I really didn't hear anything near what the Stiletto does.

Wasn't any comparison.

Just sayin' is all...

have you tried replacing the 12ax7 that runs the f/x loop with a lower gain tube like a 12at7? or 12au7? give it a shot. 8 bucks on a tube is less than you`ll lose on selling your amp!!

Back