Stiletto Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRS GEEK

Reaction score
Hi guys... This is my first post. I'm looking to hear from some other Stiletto owners.

Really, I'm a Marshall guy. I'm not a heavy metal, gained out type player. I bought the Stiletto after playing it a LOT in the store during several trips.

After tweaking the crap out of it over the past 10 months I'm having some difficulties with the amp. We play about 100 or so shows a year. 3 hours of music each show, So, I've had plenty of time with the amp at gig levels.

The main reason I bought the amp was to get a better Marshall that had 2 "useable" channels. Mostly, I use the first channel (in crunch). And for some of the heavier stuff, I use the 2nd channel (tite gain).

My main sound with the guitar all the way up would be similar to say, EVH rhythm (sorta)... I've installed treble bleed caps on my guitars so I can turn the thing down and clean everything up for funk and pretty clean stuff. No problem with all that.

The problem is that the crunch channel is very compressed and it bugs the hell outta' me. I'm using the diode recs and bold!

I have done away with all my rack gear and have scaled down to only a Boss DD 20 Giga Delay in the loop. Also a smallis pedal board with a wah, TS9 RI, and a Phase 45. So yeah, I'm still using the loop, but just for the delay. Pretty much at unity gain I guess.

Am I the only one who notices this extra (and IMHO unnecessary) compression with the guitar all the way up. (PRS Custom 24).

When I'm hitting power chords the amp just compresses into oblivian.

I end up missing my JCM 2000 which never did that.

Any suggestions?

We've been having some trouble with the server. So traffic is down, give it some time.

I agree it compresses more then a marshall...are u still using the stock tubes? If so, give Bob at eurotubes a email, if not, contact mesa directly and see what advice they have to offer...I recommend E34l's, however there are clips on this site by cottrun where the amp doesnt have that compressed sound...

Hey Bobbypols, I can't figure out how to quote you... Oh well.

Well, I've never actually NOT used the FX loop when I gig, and I'm wondering if it IS the loop. It sounded better at home without the loop, but really, this is a gigging amp and I (pretty much) only play it at gigs, so really I don't know what it would sound like live withOUT the loop. I need to use the loop, so it's really not even an option to try that way at a gig.

Are there threads I can access about the tube discussions? I mean, I don't even see a "search" function. [/quote]

search option is up there...just below the ad. Another resource you can use is www.gearpage.net and ask around there...

Thanks again... I may try The Gear Page.

Spoke to a Boogie tech today. Told me to try and swap tube V4... Not sure that'll change anything but I may as well try. Eh?

The Stiletto clip you recommended were NOT using the FX loop. Nice sounds of course, but not what my Stiletto sounds like with the loop in.

Have you tried a guitar, preferably a PRS 8), with different pups? The HFS is IMHO PRS's hottest pup, (HFS stands for hot, fat, screams!) Could it be attributing to the compression?

jbird said:
Have you tried a guitar, preferably a PRS 8), with different pups? The HFS is IMHO PRS's hottest pup, (HFS stands for hot, fat, screams!) Could it be attributing to the compression?

The Tremonti Treble is the hottest pickup PRS offers.. My HFS pickups sounded fine with my Dual Rec.. I cannot speak for the stiletto however. Great tone from those pickups.

Yeah, I don't think it's the pups... I've played this (my main C-24) since '95 thru every type of amp from Marshalls to Fenders and Voxes. The pups are a "little" compressed sounding, but I've alo had about 12 PRSii and I have 3 right now with different pups. It's not the pups, it's the amp.

I'm highly considering selling the Stiletto if I don't resolve the compression issue. I'll look for anothe Marshall. Problem is, my desired Marshall sound is one that has no FX loop (Plexi), but I digress.

Let me know if swapping tubes will help...you havent answered the question whether or not u still have the stock mesa tubes that came with the stiletto...I ve heard great things about switching them for JJs... get back to me about the mesa advice...IMO ive found prs humbuckers to be a tad compressed...i dont get much compression with my strat single coils...but u have seemed to eliminate that issue.

OK... Sorry. No, I have not changed the power OR preamp tubes. Nor, have I swapped the V4 with the V5 preamp tube (the V4 is what drives the loop). But I thought since they were ALL 12AX7's, why bother "swapping"? Putting a NEW 12AX7 seems a lot smarter, eh?

The other posts regarding putting JJ's in or something else all seemed to be about the "gain structure" of the amp. I mean, I don't really need more gain, it has plenty. I could do with less highs and more lows, but not the sub lows, and I'd be fine JUST to dump that compression and be done.

I think it has a heck of a lot to do with the Master Volume feeding the FX loop, then overpowering the tube, but I'm just guessing at this point. I mean, you can almost use the loop and Master Volume as a variac by turning the channel volumes up and keeping the Master as low as you can. I've tried BOTH ways and still get the compression when I hit the guitar hard.

I can play a Swamp Ash Special this weekend, and maybe bring a G&L Legacy HB, but I like gigging the CU24. It's my baby. I can't retire the guitar for a SAS! :x

PRS GEEK, are any of the songs in your signature recorded with the stiletto? so i can get an example?

"xnfx"... Don't think it's the cab/speakers. It's Marshall 1960A with V-30's, and I know that cab and also know what worn out V-30's sound like. It's all fine in that regard. But a good question nonetheless.

"bobbypols"... All the tunes on my Sounclick site are done with a 1980 JMP 50 watt, Voc AC 15 RI, and a Deluxe Reverb RI, and some other stuff. I got the Stiletto after this stuff was recorded.

The Stiletto with the FX loop unengaged would be an awesome recording amp, IMO.

If you listen to my stuff, don't laugh. I'm a pop rock guy and there's not much hard stuff, but is ALL guitar, bass and drums. No keys. That's something I pride myself in. Plus a like a variety of guitar tones (acoustic too) and FX, so there's a lot of guitar tracks on every tune using a variety of amps and guitars.

I can not contain my laughter, who invited Air Supply...LOL just kidden...stick to what u do best is my motto... :wink:

You didn't listen to the instrumentals? What DID you actually listen to anyway?

Air Supply? Well, that's a first. :p

Ive emailed Bob at Eurotubes about your problem PRS Geek and will get back to you when he answers it...he fairly knowledgable so hopefully some insight can be found.

OK... Well, I totally appreciate your reply (even tho you never listened to my actual guitar playing).... Air Supply? WTF?

Yer the only guy who really gave a crap about the compression issue and I thank you for that.

If tubes are an issue I'll be sure to let ya'll now.

Thanx for your interest! :)

Much appreciated.

Back