Stiletto owners that can get close to EVHish tone (series1)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnfx

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys would let me in on some of your settings to get an EVHish tone out of your stiletto? :) Also, I just read some old threads about some guys getting ear fatigue with these. What's this all about, and do you get it? :?:

Thanks!

These amps can be very bright sounding, causing ear fatigue if not set properly. Just turn down the presence and treble a little, and get rid of the stock Mesa/Sovtek tubes.

I don't have any specific settings, but can get in to VH territory by using a boost pedal. This amp responds very well to pushing the front end.

ear fatique happens usely when you try to listen for something long enough if the sound stress the muscles in the ear. Anyways, you have ear fatique when sounds have distortion...the bad kind, are too high etc. You know you have it when essiently the sound you hear kinda becomes all midrange boxy.. and all the highs are loss, and all the bass is gone, and essiently music sounds like crap no matter how you set the settings.

This is how I get my EVH tone on my Stiletto.

SPONGY
50 watts
Don't use the DIODES

TIGHT GAIN -- Gain (5 oclock), Treble (2 oclock), Mid (10 oclock), Bass (2 oclock), Presence (1 oclock)

FLUID DRIVE only if you have the HW Mod then use the same settings above.

HELPFUL HINTS -- Use a passive pickup, preferably Seymour Duncan (Custom Custom) bridge pickup. JJ's E34L hi-gain kit. Sounds VERY close.

I used to get the ear fatigue from my stiletto but since I started turning
the mids to zero that hasn't happened. For me anyways, its not the highs,
it was the mids.

Back