Stiletto Owners: Stage I vs. Stage II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

The relationship with my recto for our first year has been VERY love / hate. One day, I find the tones to be perfect, and the next, I can't stand them...my biggest complain as of late has been the undefined and overly deep presence the recto tends to have...not as tight as I would like. Instead of changing speakers, etc., I think it may be time to look into a different amp :?

So, I'm REALLY considering the stiletto series...I remember playing one a few months back and really enjoying....ofcourse, I will be making another trip to my shop soon to give it a fair shot!

My question....what are the differences between the two stages of the amp? Is the newer Stage II significantly better? If so, why do you think so?

As for cab, I assume the traditional cab would be the best match...

Thanks for all the input! Help a struggling man to make his choice (and maybe convert :shock: )

PS: Anyone interested in a trade, do feel free to PM :wink:

I have both Deuce I & II. They are both great amps. The newer stage II is a bit quicker/tighter if you will . I still say Stiletto I is a great amp as well . It has a bit more sag than stage II . The tite gain is really about the same in both amps . That particular mode was not revoiced . So basically Stage II has five of the six modes (apart from tite gain) revoiced and a updated power transformer . The 4X12 traditional cab is the right choice . I also say that mahogany based humbucker guitars fit like a glove with either amp, especially LP's . Im selling my stage I only because i cant really use two Stilettos . If you want to hear my stage I go to www.toyzzband.com and click Feel Like makin Love and Doctor Doctor . All rythym tracks are stage I Deuce . Good luck in your journey on the path of tone .

Hey Barry!!! :)

man, what a cool band you have there!!!!! 8) great playing and impressive vocal duties, awesome!!!

really like you guys work!!! keep it up high!!! :D

Vigo1999 said:
Barry said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

The relationship with my recto for our first year has been VERY love / hate. One day, I find the tones to be perfect, and the next, I can't stand them...my biggest complain as of late has been the undefined and overly deep presence the recto tends to have...not as tight as I would like. Instead of changing speakers, etc., I think it may be time to look into a different amp :?

So, I'm REALLY considering the stiletto series...I remember playing one a few months back and really enjoying....ofcourse, I will be making another trip to my shop soon to give it a fair shot!

My question....what are the differences between the two stages of the amp? Is the newer Stage II significantly better? If so, why do you think so?

As for cab, I assume the traditional cab would be the best match...

Thanks for all the input! Help a struggling man to make his choice (and maybe convert :shock: )

PS: Anyone interested in a trade, do feel free to PM :wink:

I have both Deuce I & II. They are both great amps. The newer stage II is a bit quicker/tighter if you will . I still say Stiletto I is a great amp as well . It has a bit more sag than stage II . The tite gain is really about the same in both amps . That particular mode was not revoiced . So basically Stage II has five of the six modes (apart from tite gain) revoiced and a updated power transformer . The 4X12 traditional cab is the right choice . I also say that mahogany based humbucker guitars fit like a glove with either amp, especially LP's . Im selling my stage I only because i cant really use two Stilettos . If you want to hear my stage I go to www.toyzzband.com and click Feel Like makin Love and Doctor Doctor . All rythym tracks are stage I Deuce . Good luck in your journey on the path of tone .

Hey Barry!!! :)

man, what a cool band you have there!!!!! 8) great playing and impressive vocal duties, awesome!!!

really like you guys work!!! keep it up high!!! :D

Thanks very much . The tracks were done very quickly, over about 4 hours . Thanks for the comment on the vocals . We do work at that . Always good to hear from south of the equater .

I just got my Stage I today with a Marshall 1960BX Cab. It sounds awesome. From what I hear the Stage II has more gain than the Stage I, but the Stage I has too much gain for me. I play metal, classic rock, funk, and blues. The sound also might have something to do with the cab having 25w Greenbacks instead of Vintage 30's, being that the Vintage 30's are built for more gain.

Hi all,This is one mesa Ive not tried out yet,was never a marshall fan so they didnt really appeal to me all that much,I did see a video of John Petrucci playin through an ace combo and it sounded really nice,sweet and in that spot where you normally spend ages with other amps searchin for,you could hear all kind of overtones and stuff comin through which you do get in the rec's but not as clear as this was showin
really nice

ohh sgtbaker,just posted a comment on another post askin what series your head was but it looks like I found my answer here,stage one,very nice...is there any die hard fans of the first run series 1 heads like there is of the 2channel dual rec's,
could you guys see in the future people ranting on about how the stage1's were better than the 2's or are the 2's so much better with all there refinements

Euan

sgtbaker said:
I just got my Stage I today with a Marshall 1960BX Cab. It sounds awesome. From what I hear the Stage II has more gain than the Stage I, but the Stage I has too much gain for me. I play metal, classic rock, funk, and blues. The sound also might have something to do with the cab having 25w Greenbacks instead of Vintage 30's, being that the Vintage 30's are built for more gain.

yo. I play a mesa stiletto ace with a 4x12 cab w/ Greenbacks too. it's tonal heaven for me.

Back