Stiletto Owners - Best Tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Bob

Reaction score
This question goes out to all the Stiletto owners in the house. Which pre and power tubes do you favor in your Series 1 Deuce's or Trident's? I have read several times that the stock Mesa tubes do not do this amp justice and I would like to know which ones will bring my beast alive.

I've heard good things about the JJ E-34Ls in the Stilettos.

For the preamp, can't go wrong with a tung sol in V1....never been a fan of the JJ tubes in the preamp, but the slight darkness might help to tame the brightness of the amp.

All up to you I guess.

For a nice even rock tone try SED =C= 's. They make a really nice 6L6 also. JJ's KT-77 is sweet too. Kinda in between the 6L6 and EL-34

I have a Stiletto I. I have tried several tubes and swapped them in and out in almost every configuration. First off, you are right to look at swapping out the stock Mesa tubes. I am always disappointed with the sound of the Stiletto with Mesa's tubes in them. Anyway, here's my findings.

1) JJ's high gain kit from Eurotubes. 5 high gain ECC83S and E34L power tubes. These were a significant enhancement to the stock tubes. I love Eurotubes customer service, prices and shipping time. They are good to deal with. The tubes on the other hand have a few drawbacks. The quality is not all that great. I had one of the preamp tubes blow out within 3 months. I also noticed a TON of hissing and microphonics from the tubes. I also lost control of my volume and gain knobs with them in. I couldn't turn the volume without them going from low to LOUD! My gain knob had no more control as well. This only happened with the JJ's in them. I don't think these tubes were a great match in my Stiletto. I put them in my Mark IV and they sounded great. So I'm not knocking them, just not recommending them in this amp.

2) Electro Harmonix hi gain rated 12AX7's. Terrible. Not good in the Stiletto. I put it in V1 and had even more hissing and loss of distortion than the JJ's. I got my knob control back, that was the only plus.

3) GROOVE TUBES. Let me say it again, Groove Tubes. Not only did I receive lightning fast delivery, 1 day. But I also got a TON of advice from Myles Rose (Amp Tube Genius!). There are so many things to think about when retubing an amp. It's overwhelming if you don't have a clue. Anyway, he educated me on exactly what each preamp position does and why it is so critical. I was going at it all wrong with the other tubes. Dah! Here's the thing, Groove Tubes have the STRICTEST quality control out of all the tube distributors, they also have the best and most accurate equipment in testing. They seek out a tube that will match your amp the best. Now, all this comes with a price. However, if you want the best sound, get the best tubes! But here's a secret. You do not need to completely re-tube your amp! All you need are 3 preamp tubes. V1, V2 and MPI. All you need to do is buy these 3 preamp tubes. If you REALLY want to you can buy new power tubes. However, these are the biggest change in tone to your amp. I did this for my Stiletto and got the Marshall SAG hi-gain kit. My Stiletto sounds PERFECT now. I really got my Marshall-like sound now. I have the control in my knobs with an incredible distortion breakup from my tubes. I will always get Groove Tubes from now on out. I did the same with my Roadster and got an insane amount of gain and response over the stock tubes. Beautiful.

If anyone has had a bad experience with the sound from Groove Tubes, I really believe it is because they got the wrong ones from them. There is a huge variety from Groove Tubes and if you buy a Russian tube when a Chinese tube would be a better fit, and then top it off by putting it in the wrong position then you will not get optimal results.

Great information Jackie.

By the way, a rhetorical question: If someone wants a Marshall tone, why not just buy a Marshall? 8)

I've never used anything but Mesa tubes in my Mesa's, if I wanted to try another tube in my Ace, what about biasing?

Are folks here just stickin' 'um in and going for it?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

DJ :roll:

dstefani said:
I've never used anything but Mesa tubes in my Mesa's, if I wanted to try another tube in my Ace, what about biasing?

Are folks here just stickin' 'um in and going for it?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

DJ :roll:

Mesa amps are fixed bias so you don't need to bias them ever. You just need to make sure you get tubes within Mesa's operating spec, something all tube vendors online can help you with.

enigma said:
Great information Jackie.

By the way, a rhetorical question: If someone wants a Marshall tone, why not just buy a Marshall? 8)

Because compared to the current Marshall stuff, a M/B is going to sound better (at least to a lot of ears), be more versatile, and be better built than a real deal Marshall.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
I have a Stiletto I. I have tried several tubes and swapped them in and out in almost every configuration. First off, you are right to look at swapping out the stock Mesa tubes. I am always disappointed with the sound of the Stiletto with Mesa's tubes in them. Anyway, here's my findings.

1) JJ's high gain kit from Eurotubes. 5 high gain ECC83S and E34L power tubes. These were a significant enhancement to the stock tubes. I love Eurotubes customer service, prices and shipping time. They are good to deal with. The tubes on the other hand have a few drawbacks. The quality is not all that great. I had one of the preamp tubes blow out within 3 months. I also noticed a TON of hissing and microphonics from the tubes. I also lost control of my volume and gain knobs with them in. I couldn't turn the volume without them going from low to LOUD! My gain knob had no more control as well. This only happened with the JJ's in them. I don't think these tubes were a great match in my Stiletto. I put them in my Mark IV and they sounded great. So I'm not knocking them, just not recommending them in this amp.

2) Electro Harmonix hi gain rated 12AX7's. Terrible. Not good in the Stiletto. I put it in V1 and had even more hissing and loss of distortion than the JJ's. I got my knob control back, that was the only plus.

3) GROOVE TUBES. Let me say it again, Groove Tubes. Not only did I receive lightning fast delivery, 1 day. But I also got a TON of advice from Myles Rose (Amp Tube Genius!). There are so many things to think about when retubing an amp. It's overwhelming if you don't have a clue. Anyway, he educated me on exactly what each preamp position does and why it is so critical. I was going at it all wrong with the other tubes. Dah! Here's the thing, Groove Tubes have the STRICTEST quality control out of all the tube distributors, they also have the best and most accurate equipment in testing. They seek out a tube that will match your amp the best. Now, all this comes with a price. However, if you want the best sound, get the best tubes! But here's a secret. You do not need to completely re-tube your amp! All you need are 3 preamp tubes. V1, V2 and MPI. All you need to do is buy these 3 preamp tubes. If you REALLY want to you can buy new power tubes. However, these are the biggest change in tone to your amp. I did this for my Stiletto and got the Marshall SAG hi-gain kit. My Stiletto sounds PERFECT now. I really got my Marshall-like sound now. I have the control in my knobs with an incredible distortion breakup from my tubes. I will always get Groove Tubes from now on out. I did the same with my Roadster and got an insane amount of gain and response over the stock tubes. Beautiful.

If anyone has had a bad experience with the sound from Groove Tubes, I really believe it is because they got the wrong ones from them. There is a huge variety from Groove Tubes and if you buy a Russian tube when a Chinese tube would be a better fit, and then top it off by putting it in the wrong position then you will not get optimal results.

great info. however i disagree a bit about the power tube comment. I think that power tubes, even for Mesa amps (which are really reliant on preamp gain) are very crucial in tone. In cases where u are playing at bedroom volumes, power tube changes wont be as noticeable. But in a band situation, where u get to really open the amp up and work it hard, the only way your gonna get heard over the drums, bass, and vox, is to crank up the master volume and lower the preamp gain. this gets the power tubes working, and this is where u evalute the effects and qualities of your power tubes.

that said, I really like the wing =c= el34s that I have in my Ace right now. I also have tungsols reissues in v1 and 2, and jjecc83s in the rest. the v5 slot is matched triodes. retubing an amp is something that is almost a given most times i get any amp. I know its not a mental thing. I really do hear a difference (and for the better) when I get the tubes that I want in my amp.

I also have series 1 stiletto tried a couple of different brand but have settled on GT 12ax7m in v1 & v2 & jj ecc83s in the rest. Put groove tube el34m,s in power section & groove tube rectifiers. Sounds awesome when cranked, makes mesa tubes sound sterile.

I can highly recommend the Watford Valves Cryo treated EL34 Mullard re-issues, as well as their Cryo treated Harma ECC83s and the Groove Tubes Mullard re-issues.

Personally, I don't like the JJs in my Boogies - they seem to make the tone harsher.

Back