stiletto or lonestar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschill388

Reaction score
so i have a mark III but i want another amp.

originally i wanted to get a lonestar but it seemed everytime i played through one in the store it would cut out or blow a fuse almost instantly once i juiced the thing up. it happened on three different combos i played out of. i bought a lonestar head off ebay and the thing fried at practice. apparently running el34s in it makes it more susceptable to blowing one of the tube socket resistors. so i kind of got scared away from the lonestar.
anyone else experience anything like this?

so recently ive been drawn to the stiletto ace. and im deciding whether to get a 2x12 combo and run it with an additional tone tubby 2x12 or get the head with a 4x12 cab.

I have an Ace 1x12 and really like it. For me, though I really want more speakers, it just isn't practical. If I were to do it all over again I'd get the Stiletto Deuce head with a 2x12 cab. The combos are pretty heavy. So, if you want 4 speakers I'd recommend the head and 4x12 cab. Seems like many people here with Stilettos like the Mesa Traditional 4x12 cab.

I've never had a problem with my Lonestars, from stock to NOS tubes to YJs to speaker swaps to leaving the amp on overnight (meh!)--never a hiccup. Of course with your bad experiences, who would blame you for looking in another direction? Not me. Perhaps the difference is a good voltage regulator, which is what I've been using since day one...

Toh-n

Been gigging hard (2-4 nights a week) with my LSC 112 for over a year and it's been perfect. MUCH more versatile amp than the Stilleto IMHO.

8)

has been stellar with the LSC. I have had no issues from a problem or reliability perspective.

at practice last night using my 335, i dialed in an awesome "brown" ZZTop sound ... i don't play much "metal", but it can make every tone I have imagined. unbelievable range of tones.

I've been playing for 35 years... all styles and graduated from GIT. I've played a ton of amps over the years. I think it really depends on what type of playing you're doing. Jazz, blues, country, and pop rock... the LSC is a very beautiful amp.... but there is no way it touches the stiletto for classic rock or heavier stuff... not even close. It's a very very good Fender on roids.

Joshusama said:
I've never had a problem with my Lonestars, from stock to NOS tubes to YJs to speaker swaps to leaving the amp on overnight (meh!)--never a hiccup. Of course with your bad experiences, who would blame you for looking in another direction? Not me. Perhaps the difference is a good voltage regulator, which is what I've been using since day one...

Toh-n

which voltage regulator do you use?
peace,
j

buddaman71 said:
Been gigging hard (2-4 nights a week) with my LSC 112 for over a year and it's been perfect. MUCH more versatile amp than the Stilleto IMHO.

8)

Both are 2 channel amplifiers with each having the ability to change wattages as well as 3 different tonal setting for each channel. Besides having reverb I don't see the " Much more versatile amp" thing. They are both voiced different for what tones you may be after. To me they are both built on the same lines exept the Lonestar uses 6l6's and the Stiletto uses EL34's which I happen to like both.

I went through a similar decision a few months ago and ended up with a Stiletto Ace head as I was really looking for a hard rock / classic metal type of sound - sort of like a "better" version of a contemporary Marshall amp. The Lone Star has absolutely stunning cleans and great blues tone but just doesn't have enough juice for my type of music. It really depends what type of music you'll be playing - these two amps are different enough from each other to have come from two completely different manufacturers - and each sounds splendid it its own way.

In terms of head vs. combo - I'm of the opinion that a head is always more versatile. Since purchasing the Stiletto Ace head I had a great deal on a used Mark IV combo that I just couldn't pass up - I'm absolutely loving it however part of me wishes it were a head because I'm not crazy about the C90 speaker and the combo is friggin' heavy!!

thanks for the replys everyone.

i play slighty higher gain music but need a slightly overdriven clippy warm clean sound to go along with it. i love the lonestar because i can heat the thing up and get a good amount of juice but still hear the distinguishment of each string. but i like the responsiveness of the stiletto....

go to my bands page
www.myspace.com/therobberymusic
and suggest what amp you think would sound better.

all the guitars in those tracks were done with a marshall dsl and a mark III

I get a great chunky high gain rhythm sound from my Lonestar. I don't understand why people think it's only a low-mid gain amp. It's got tons of gain on tap unless you're playing metal.

I monkeyed around with the Stiletto quite a bit before buying my LSC. I like the Stiletto alot, but it's not as versatile as the LSC and it doesn't do cleans and low to mid gain stuff nearly as well IMO. I've no doubt I'll own one someday though.

Lonestar or Stiletto... You can't really go wrong.

To me the gain wasn't the issue with the LSC... it was the the Fender style voicing for high gain lead soloing... It didn't track fast enough and would go mushy. That was why I traded it in on the MKIV. The Stiletto although not as tight as the MKIV, tracks well. The cleans are different than the LSC and it's like comparing apples and grapes. Try them both and get the amp you like. I grew up with Fenders and am tired of that sound I guess.

Look I play in a band doing classic rock covers, aerosmith, van halen, bad co, and even metalica. once I put an eq in the loop I had no problem copping any of those sounds. it is a myth that the LSC cannot do high gain. Nu Metal Recto girth it will not do, nor will a Marshall. but this ***** will rock trust me. .....then I put a cherry on top when I popped in some EL34's!!! she screams like a cat with its tail caught in a fan belt. oh and let me tell you one more thing, I never have had to set the gain over 1 or 2 O'Clock. with the drive at 11 O'clock........I dont even have to tell you about the cleans. When ever I played the Ace, I loved it but it was always way too bright for me. good luck on your decision. its always alot of fun researching and figuring out what fits you best. either way you will be buying a boogie which holds its value very well.

The LSC can do the EL34 sound as good as the Stiletto can do the 6L6 sound... you pick whatever suits you and ignore us ;)

LMAO

If you like the Fender sound there is no way in hell I'd buy a Stiletto. NEVER.

If you want the British Marshall hazy sound.... You can dream all you want about how great the LSC is but you'll only be fooling yourself. Even with EL34's in it...it's still a Fender.

Back