Stiletto Loop - unity gain?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FPFL

Reaction score
So I'm experiementing with the loop on my Ace.
Its interesting, even with nothing in the loop and the loop level knob maxed out I still lose a few db with the loop turned on. This strikes me as odd.

I know Mesa's opinion on pedals in the loop versus rack gear but why is unity gain simply not possible without a boost in the loop?

It doesn't seem to hurt my tone, just knocks the levels down a little - so its not a sacrifice of anything important live. Still I wonder why...

Anyone wiser than I on this subject, please educate me.

Thanks,

Paul

Perhaps try a higher-gain tube for the loop driver (V4 in the Recto, not sure which one it is in the Stiletto) I haven't had much time knob-twisting the Stiletto...only a couple hours in the music store, and I did not mess with the loop at all, but FWIW my Triple-rec loop reaches unity gain with the send level set between 1:00-2:00 depending on what tubes are in place and what devices are connected through the loop.

Pedals CAN work in the loop, as long as you take it easy on the channel masters. I use a Boss DD-6 delay, RV-5 Reverb and sometimes a CH-1 chorus with no issues other than the reverb gets a bit fuzzy-sounding if the channel masters are set too high.

Try turning up the main Output (11:00 or higher) and set your channel masters a little lower. Aside from making the loop more manageable, IMO it makes the whole amp sound better.

NGNC,

Interesting.... So the levels out of the channels effect the overall loop level? Never would've guessed that. I'll try it.

Thanks,

-P

My only complaint about the Ace is the lack of a spring reverb. To hear a bit of reverb, I have to go the route of plugging into the front or going through the effects loop. My effects processor is a Kurzweil KSP8.
Usually sends and returns on effects loops from amps are unbalanced, right?
I've tried running into and out of the the Kurzweil with balanced and unbalanced. The best option sound I've found is using a A/D and D/A converters (with the Kurzweil connected to the converter by optical ADAT) and then running a balanced signal from the converter to a reamp device (X-amp).
This is the best sound I've found. It seems needlessly complicated.
How do others do their effects routing to and from? Do you run balanced or unbalanced? Any other tips?

I adjusted my Kurzweil effects processor and have balanced cables running from/to the return/send between the Kurzweil and the Stiletto Ace.
This really is a great amp.

BTW. What is Mesa's opinion between pedals in the loop versus rack gear? I usually use my pedals before the amp.

FPFL said:
So I'm experiementing with the loop on my Ace.
Its interesting, even with nothing in the loop and the loop level knob maxed out I still lose a few db with the loop turned on. This strikes me as odd.

I know Mesa's opinion on pedals in the loop versus rack gear but why is unity gain simply not possible without a boost in the loop?

It doesn't seem to hurt my tone, just knocks the levels down a little - so its not a sacrifice of anything important live. Still I wonder why...

Anyone wiser than I on this subject, please educate me.

Thanks,

Paul

Back