Stiletto Hiss.......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmoog

Reaction score
Howdy. My stiletto deuce has this weird hiss when its cranked. yeah, I know what your thinking. I understand the whole 100W high gain head cranked = noise thing, but its kind of annoying. anyone else have the same problem? I'd like to get rid of it since I dont use my stiletto at "bedroom" volumes.

Settings are:

Channel 1: Tite Clean
Gain 3-3:30
Treble 12
Mid 12
Bass 12
Presence 8:30-9
Master Dimed
100 Watt, Bold, Tube Rec.

Channel 2: Tite Drive
Gain 2
Treb 1:30
Mid 1
Bass 12
Presence Off
Master Dimed
100 Watt, Bold, Tube Rec.

No, I am not afraid of a cranked 100 watt head, I play it that way regularly, (not just at gigs), no, I do not own a hot plate or any sort of attenuator, and yes, I think I probably do have a little hearing loss, but well worth it for shaking the concrete floor underneath me and rattling my balls.....

maybe I am a little crazy after all lol

Is this a recent phenomonon or has it been like that from day 1? If it's only recent maybe it's a pre-amp tube? My Ace started hissing over the weekend and I replaced tubes in V1 and V2 ( I only had 2 tubes lying around) and hiss went away.

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) retubed the whole amp. I try to 100% retube all my amps on or around the 1st of the year so everything stays fresh. The only amp I have that I didn't retube is my gemini ampeg because its got original made in USA sylvania tubes throughout from 1968. In my stiletto I have mesa tubes throughout, SPAX7's in the preamp, yellow EL34's in the poweramp, and 5U4's for rectifiers. is there somewhere I can get 12ax7's that will be guaranteed noise free in a cranked 100 watter? its kind of annoying cause if you've ever heard a microphonic tube when your playing that loud in a 20x20 room, and your standing six feet away in front of the cab, it feels kinda like someone bashed the back of your head with a 2x4.... I do have one tube that appears to be microphonic, but only at afore mentioned high volume levels. maybe that is also causing the hiss? and ideas on where to get a super high quality 12AX7?

You don't have to get "super high quality" 12ax7s, just get new ones. All 12ax7s are almost identical, they just break up at slightly different volumes. That doesn't have anything to do with microphonics, any new tube should be microphonic free, otherwise take it back and get a new one. I know most if not all tube companies guarantee new tubes against microphonics.

Normally I would agree, but it had a microphonic tube before, then I retubed it, and it still has one. so I want to make sure I get the good stuff this time rather than the readily available mesa tubes

Schmoog said:
Normally I would agree, but it had a microphonic tube before, then I retubed it, and it still has one. so I want to make sure I get the good stuff this time rather than the readily available mesa tubes

get tubes from here:

www.dougstubes.com

great service.

I use tung sols and JJecc83s in my stiletto, no noise.

Latest posts

Back