Stiletto Head w/ Traditional vs. Standard 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Force

Reaction score
I have a Stiletto Trident Stage 1 head and a Traditional recto/stiletto 4x12 Mesa straight front cab. My Mesa 4x12 is one of the older Traditional Vintage 30 equipped Recto cabs from before they started calling them Stiletto cabs.

I am considering going to the Standard Mesa oversize 4x12 straight recto cab.

I would love to hear some opinions or feedback from anyone who has tried the oversize cab with their Stiletto Duece or Trident head, and any comparisons if you have also played through the smaller traditional cab.

I would go with the 32 7/8" (oversize) Recto cab. That's what I have, and that's what I plan to use with the Stiletto (or Electra Dyne) head. I played this amp/cab pairing before and it sounds really good. My thought is that the extra bit of low end response compliments the higher midrange voice of the amp, and also help tame the high end that it has.

Either one will sound great. I will say that the Recto cab is heavy! But to me it is worth it.

Yeah Im not big on the Trad/Stiletto box. The Recto/standard is the way to go for the mesa cabs. Not a fan of the RK cabs either. I really like my recto cab. Sounds great with my Trident. However, Im currently favoring my Randall XL cab (not oversized). Either way, the recto is the best sounding mesa 412 IMO.

when you decide to get the recto 412 and crank it up, be sure to pop off the casters, for maximum effect.

Mesa even recommends putting the cab (any cab) in direct contact with the floor for best sound & feel in their manuals.

Well, I like my Roadster and Stiletto Deuce II thru a Mesa Stiletto 4X12 straight cab. Go figure. Sounds tighter, more midrangey, and cuts thru the mix a tad better than the oversized cabs. Both have different qualities that can work for you. Just try both out, and hear which one sounds best to you...

thanks KH, that's cool. I am playing my Stiletto Trident thru the stiletto cab right now as I mentioned, and in fact I am hoping to add another head and cab, as I have for many years played through two amps, using an A/B/Y box. I see you have a Roadster, which is a great head also. I did play through one of them extensively in the store and really loved it. I love my Mark IV combo(which is my stay at home or small gig amp now), and so am thinking about a Mk 5 head, or perhaps looking for a used 2 ch. Dual Rec. to use in conjunction with the Stiletto. I really dig the Fluid Drive mode for my heavier rhythms, it is really bad-a$$. I don't hate the traditional cab, but I would like to hear or at least get as much feedback as I can on what is working best for others from a tone standpoint witht he 4x12s and various speakers.

I appreciate your input on how your rig is working for you. thanks!

Hi. I have a Trident S1 which I play through recto cab (casters off). It works! haha. I used a 1960A before I got the recto cab and haven't gone back although I do plan on mixing it up in upcoming recording sessions. I have a JCM800 50w that I want to try thru the Mesa cab after Hearing Mike Supina (AWilhelmScream) playing through that combination and a TubeScreamer <facemelt>.

I'd tend to agree with Jetdriver that the added low end of the Recto cab compliments the voice of the Trident nicely. The Trident sounded great through the 1960A as well, different but good. Of course we all have our own ears so try em out. Too bad it's so expensive to figure out what ya want, luckily we have the Boogie Boards for guidance. Good luck

MesaMadness said:
Too bad it's so expensive to figure out what ya want, luckily we have the Boogie Boards for guidance. Good luck

Right on.

Keep your eyes peeled for deals, they're out there. I scored a brand new condition 412 Recto cab w/ casters for $350 on CL. 8)

Force said:
I'm getting pretty excited to find me a Recto Cab.......maybe two... :twisted: 8) :lol: :lol:

Force & I joined this forum on the same month, and are within one post of each other... cool!

:mrgreen:

jetdriver said:
Force said:
I'm getting pretty excited to find me a Recto Cab.......maybe two... :twisted: 8) :lol: :lol:

Force & I joined this forum on the same month, and are within one post of each other... cool!

:mrgreen:

Hey that's cool! Finding this board has been a real lifesaver, not to mention a lot of fun.... 8) :D

Latest posts

Back