Stiletto Deuce

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb20926

Reaction score
I have never owned a Mesa before and I'm shopping. I'm thinking about trying/buying a used Stiletto Deuce from a local shop. Any suggestions or comments about these heads. How does this amp compare to the Road King's or Dual Rec's. Again I'm new to Mesa! Thanks!

Welcome to the BB!

The three amps you mentioned are all cut from very different pieces of cloth. The Dual Rec and Road King are similar(in that the RK is a Dual Rec under the covers) however the RK is a DR on steroids with way more options.

The Deuce is very similar to a Marshall, but done properly. Whereas the Dual Rec uses 6L6 tubes by default and was designed around them, the Deuce is an EL34 tube amp with a very strong british flare. I liked the Deuce but I much preferred the Stiletto Ace for my applications..

The question I should ask is, what kind of music are you interested in playing?

Platypus said:
Welcome to the BB!

The three amps you mentioned are all cut from very different pieces of cloth. The Dual Rec and Road King are similar(in that the RK is a Dual Rec under the covers) however the RK is a DR on steroids with way more options.

The Deuce is very similar to a Marshall, but done properly. Whereas the Dual Rec uses 6L6 tubes by default and was designed around them, the Deuce is an EL34 tube amp with a very strong british flare. I liked the Deuce but I much preferred the Stiletto Ace for my applications..

The question I should ask is, what kind of music are you interested in playing?

Curious, Why would prefer the Ace over the Deuce ? Are you using a combo ? Apart from size or wattage they are exactly the same layout and voicing . Just curious .

rtb20926 said:
I have never owned a Mesa before and I'm shopping. I'm thinking about trying/buying a used Stiletto Deuce from a local shop. Any suggestions or comments about these heads. How does this amp compare to the Road King's or Dual Rec's. Again I'm new to Mesa! Thanks!

Platypus is correct .You cant compare the RK and DR to the Stiletto . Thats like apples to oranges .

Thanks for all the feedback. I have been playing in a band for 5 years and where into the modern rock covers. (Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World, The Ataris, The All American Rejects) Modern Rock!
I made the mistake of buying a mass marketed Guitar Center piece of crap last spring and I'm looking for something dependable with the sound I like. The closest thing I've heard to the sound I'm looking for is a Marshall that our other guitar player uses, but I want something done right. Yes I picked up on that. I think I'm going to play out of this Stiletto real soon. I like the EL34 sound!

my other guitarist has it and i am jealous it sounds so amazing.. i play a marshall avt150..well did it blew today but .. anyways i play that and it sounds like dick compaired to the stiletto..im getting a dual rec later this week i think though lol

-marc

Barry: I bought the combo, you're correct, the way the cabinet responds on this particular amp blows me away. It just resonates so well with the amp and creates this really sweet glaze over the notes (to my ears), moreso than the Stage I an II Stiletto Deuce's I've played with a 4x12 cab (tried bogner and mesa cabs).

If you buy a used Stiletto, it will most likely be the series one Stiletto. Don't get it. Get a Marshall instead. I'm regretting ever buying mine.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
If you buy a used Stiletto, it will most likely be the series one Stiletto. Don't get it. Get a Marshall instead. I'm regretting ever buying mine.

Jackie that's teh first time I've heard you say that without pumping the HW mod What's up?

rtb20926 said:

With Stiletto #1 you get one really good mode and that is Crunch on Channel 1. 900 bucks is a great price for that one mode but you'll have the eternal trauma and endless head scratching sessions trying to get the other modes - all 5 of them! - to sound good. Is that worth 900? Nah. You may as well buy a used Marshall - a good & proven one trick pony. My advise is to spend 1700 and get a Stage II for 6 modes of sonic bliss and nothing short of nirvana when using buckers.

Jackie that's teh first time I've heard you say that without pumping the HW mod What's up?

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I would have thrown my Stiletto out the window much quicker if I didn't get the HW mod. However, over the last year and a half I've had such a love/hate relation with the Stiletto that I've decided to sell it. I don't care what anybody says about them. They are picky amps. I can ONLY stand it with guitars that have Alnico II pickups in them. I only like it with the bridge pickup activated. I can't turn it past a certain volume because it actually "loses" it's sound. Odd! I've tried different tubes, JJ's are the best at taming this thing, but even then. Geez.

jackieTHEjokeman said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I would have thrown my Stiletto out the window much quicker if I didn't get the HW mod. However, over the last year and a half I've had such a love/hate relation with the Stiletto that I've decided to sell it. I don't care what anybody says about them. They are picky amps. I can ONLY stand it with guitars that have Alnico II pickups in them. I only like it with the bridge pickup activated. I can't turn it past a certain volume because it actually "loses" it's sound. Odd! I've tried different tubes, JJ's are the best at taming this thing, but even then. Geez.

Amen bro. Have you done an extended test with a Stage II yet?

I've actually found some similar things with the Deuce but you should really check out the Ace to those who've had problems with the Deuce/Trident. I owned a Deuce and ended up returning it for similar reasons.

The Ace blew me away and I had absolutely 0 expectations out of it considering my bad run with the Deuce.

Platypus said:
I've actually found some similar things with the Deuce but you should really check out the Ace to those who've had problems with the Deuce/Trident. I owned a Deuce and ended up returning it for similar reasons.

The Ace blew me away and I had absolutely 0 expectations out of it considering my bad run with the Deuce.

Well the Ace and Stage II are fundamentally the same. And I agree. HAs anyone else noticed how Stage I had/has no sustain? Mesa seems to have fixed this problem in the Ace / Stage II.

Platy, how would you compare the stage II to a Marshall JCM? I tried the ACE in my guitar shop for a about an hour, but without my guitars it's hard to tell completely if I like it. It sounds way better than the series I.

I think it slays my friend's JCM2000 tone wise, especially cleans.

I've played a JCM800 long ago but hard to give an accurate answer based on that.

I gotta tell you guys . I have Stiletto deuce stage I and I get a great sound out of the channel 1 crunch and channel 2 tite gain modes . I really dont get all the bad hype but i respect the fact that we all are entitled to an opinion . I just disagree . I will say it really sounds best with mahogany based humbucker guitars . Especially Les Pauls

Back