Stiletto Deuce BRIGHT GLOWING PLATES ON OUTPUT TUBES!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondschwin

Reaction score
I was playing at high volume and all the sudden the volume started to slowly drop, i looked around perplexed, and then looked at my head, and through the front grill I could see one power tube was COMPLETELY glowing entirely red... i immediately shut off the amp...

I then decided to flick the amp on standby (after letting it cool for a good 10 minutes with a high powered fan blowing on it) and then into the on position to see if it started glowing again or blew the fuse to see exactly which one it was or if all of them were bad etc. and nothing happened...

so now im even more perplexed, I am going to get new power tubes, a full set of course. but besides that I was playing through my axe trak isolation box and its fuse protected, and I know that when the tubes light up like that but dont necesarily blow a fuse it could mean the load was shorted etc. so im wondering if I need to get my iso box fixed as well....

any thoughts?

axetrak.com

Guitarzan said:
Output transformer. Have you ever ran the amp w/o the speaker cab plugged in? Mesa's are sensitive to this issue.

never, but i bought it off the floor at guitar center where it had been sitting for a year, and its possible they did

damnit

i just flipped it on now and the tubes are fine, but im getting white noise hiss out of the speakers, really loud. i havent tried playing through it yet, i dont really want to

alright so now it all works fine, the only thing is some tube noise that was very minor before is now alot louder, its like that sputtering noise, i just retubed the pre amp and it didnt stop, so ill just have to replace the power tubes i suppose, i dont use the tube rectifiers either so it cant be them... wish me luck

diamondschwin said:
alright so now it all works fine, the only thing is some tube noise that was very minor before is now alot louder, its like that sputtering noise, i just retubed the pre amp and it didnt stop, so ill just have to replace the power tubes i suppose, i dont use the tube rectifiers either so it cant be them... wish me luck

Try replacing the Power tubes...if that doesn't work then I'm afraid it's the output tx.

Commander Coo1 said:
is it too late to exchange it at GC?

yeah ive had the amp for almost a year

this isnt my first tube amp or something, and i actually think the amp is fine now, i swapped out some other el34s i had in dual rec. just to test it out, and it seems fine, the other tubes work but sound muffled, because im sure they are on their last legs.

and the crackling issue is gone, i went through the pre amp tubes again and swapped out v4 as i noticed the crackling went away when i had the loop off...

i think it is just the power tubes, i called mesa and left a message but they didnt call back yesterday

i think the amp just didnt see a proper load for a while, and since it was cranked it didnt like it. and thats probably what pushed to already old tubes into being practically dead

Back