Stiletto Ace vs. Rivera M100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosajwp

Reaction score
Which would you guys recommend? I'm looking for a great clean channel (doesn't have to be Fender...just good sounding), and a Brit-type lead channel that can do everything from bluesy stuff to classic rock to AC/DC.

I don't want to spend all day trying to find a setting I like either, but I don't mind having some adjustability. I'm also concerned about the 50 watt vs. 100 watt ratings, but there might not be much of a difference there.

I'm considering the 2x12 Ace combo and either a 2x12 M100 combo or a M100 head and 2x12 cab.

Which one would you guys go for and why?

The Stiletto Ace is EXACTLY what you want for this. I'm about to purchase one myself this Friday... take some time and go play one, you'll leave the store with it.

Why would you choose it over the Rivera? Easier to set up? How much of an issue is it that it doesn't have reverb? Also, I've heard they sound like they're playing through a 4x12...is that correct?

There is a green/tan 2x12 combo here locally that I just drool over evertime I see it!

nosajwp said:
Why would you choose it over the Rivera? Easier to set up? How much of an issue is it that it doesn't have reverb? Also, I've heard they sound like they're playing through a 4x12...is that correct?

There is a green/tan 2x12 combo here locally that I just drool over evertime I see it!

That's what I want too!

I've owned Riveras, Mesas, Fenders, and the Rivera never quite 'got it' as far as sound.. the tone was good sometimes and I hated it others. It also has to be CRANKED to get that good tone and with the Stiletto if you use the output control you can attenuate it and get awesome cranked tone without having to blast your walls down.

Edit: Also, the amp is a SNAP to set up, I was literally rocking out in 30 seconds after dialing in some logical settings.

You don't need reverb... reverb in my opinion makes up for lack of natural sustain and tone in the amplifier. I may get called out on that but that's my opinion. This doesn't apply to reverb as a spacial effect however, just general useage. The stiletto has so much sustain and harmonic glaze I swear I was playing through an amp 3 times the price. It really wow'ed me. I'm going again this Friday with my LP and if I like it I will order one on the spot.

Only problem is that I can't decide between 1 or 2 12's... still on the fence about it.

What about the volume thing? I'm concerned going to 50 watts from 100, but everything I've read says these things sound huge.

nosajwp said:
What about the volume thing? I'm concerned going to 50 watts from 100, but everything I've read says these things sound huge.

Man... I had this on about 2 out of 10 and it was shaking the room, the sustained notes carried bass to make everything rattle. I swear to you that all the marketing is true about this, it sounds like a 4x12, has 3D Vox'ish clean tones, it's just a ridiculously good amplifier. I've played so many amps and this is really one of only 3 that I've tried that I wanted to leave the store that day with.

The 1x12 has better bass response according to Kris Dilbeck of Mesa because the cabinet is the same size as 2x12 with half the space, so the cabinet moves more with the amp and punishing one speaker with the full power will get 'that tone' at lower overall volume.

Platy,

Have you tried it with your OCD? I have one too, and since it has it's own Marshally thing going on, I wonder how well it will get along with the Stiletto.

One other question...say you have the Ace set up for a really good crunchy AC/DC type sound with your guitar volume on about 1/2. If you turn your guitar all the way up, would the volume from the amp increase, or would it just increase the gain and compression?

i own a m60 and stiletto deuce.. the rivera m60 is an early version of the R series, i dont know how the r series is now but mine has push pull pots galore like a mark iv would, so it takes longer to dial in, but i have found that most of its sounds are usable, where as the stiletto has mor sensitive controls and you cant just go turning knobs randomly

nosajwp said:
Platy,

Have you tried it with your OCD? I have one too, and since it has it's own Marshally thing going on, I wonder how well it will get along with the Stiletto.

One other question...say you have the Ace set up for a really good crunchy AC/DC type sound with your guitar volume on about 1/2. If you turn your guitar all the way up, would the volume from the amp increase, or would it just increase the gain and compression?

No on the OCD, that's something I'm going to try as well but honestly it's so good that I doubt I'll even need it... seriously, and I run it with my Dual Rec of all things (i'm a huge gain freak).

On your other question, the latter is true. It gets slightly louder but not much, it gets much more gain/sustain as the volume dial goes up. I guess it depends on your guitar too and the pots.

Get the Ace, 50W is -plenty- loud and I play live with a heavy handed drummer. Tube amps sound better when they are working! I still have plenty of clean headroom too.

I can dial in an AMAZING vintage AC/DC sound on the crunch channel... one key is the right pickups. Guys going in with active or wild, super hot pups can't get the Angus tone right thru anything so don't bring a shredder axe.

I find the Ace easy to dial in for dirty sounds and harder to dial in for cleans but perhaps the cleans would dial in easier if I played with single coils, I'm not sure. The cleans are good but take some work to uncover, at least with my rig.

-P

Back