Stiletto Ace vs. Marshall JCM 800 2205

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkwachemis

Reaction score
get the Ace. it wont hurt to try other amps. if u dont like it, u can always return it and maybe look for other Marshallesque amps. it's all part of the fun!

I played a 2210 once. awesome awesome amp. If u like that, I have a good feeling you'll like the Ace too. maybe moreso. My ace so far has ended my search for the right amp for me. let us know when u get one

Reverb is not that big of a deal. You can add a pedal or a delay when needed. A cleaner signal path is better. You may find you don't miss it.

The reverb on the 2205 sucks anyway (I had one). I just sold my JCM800 4212 (2205 combo) to buy an ace.

I'm gonna buy a Holy Grail Reverb pedal of ebay for 70-100 bucks. It sounds 10x better then the built in one anyway, plus its got a ton more range and it has a flanger effect on it to play around with.

I just did a gig with the ACE, the first one, and forgot my reverb! You know, I did not miss it at all. The other guitar player has a Vetta-with all that preset stuff, and compared to the pristine beauty and raw grind ot the Ace, he sounded muddy and out of it-I used to think he had a great sound!

rabies said:
bonchie said:
The reverb on the 2205 sucks anyway (I had one). I just sold my JCM800 4212 (2205 combo) to buy an ace.

I'm gonna buy a Holy Grail Reverb pedal of ebay for 70-100 bucks. It sounds 10x better then the built in one anyway, plus its got a ton more range and it has a flanger effect on it to play around with.

IMHO, I thought the 2205 reverb was great. But I'm no reverb master. The reverb on the RK1 was good too. And you're right, I was thinking my coming Boss DD-20 can handle the reverb/delay anyway.

Does the Stiletto Ace actually sound any different than the Deuce or Trident in 50 watt mode?

Its decent for built in reverb, but it doesn't have near enough sweep in it. I could turn it on 10 and it still be to subtle.

Yeah it does sound different. It sounds alot better according to most. The transformers are built for 50 watts so they sound good at 50 watts. When you cut an amp down thats made to do 150 watts, it'll always not sound as good. Most people think the ace sounds better then the deuce or trident anyway at regular voltages.

As for GC, they may have one, I doubt it though. Just call.

I just bought the ace, I really thought I would miss the reverb, but after and hour playing it I didn't miss it at all, it's weird with if you switch off the loop, the sound is so pristine and clear it seem to have a kind of reverb on it's own, I can't describe it.

rabies said:
Do they stock demo Stiletto Ace and Mark IV @ GC? I hate going there but it's close to my house. If not, I can hit up Mesa Hollywood.

GAS attack (the disease alternates b/n guitars, amps, effects and now cables). And I'm not even in a band right now. Go figure.

hey, i'm in LA too. just go to mesa hollywood and check them out. for anything Mesa related, jsut go directly to the source. friendly staff IMO

Back