Stiletto Ace vs. Deuce + Trident

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashjn

Reaction score
Anyone compared the Series II Deuce and Trident to the Ace. In theory, the 50 watt settings should sound pretty similar to the Ace...

I'm asking because I hear ALOT of great reviews on the Ace, but nothing on the Series II Deuce and Trident

For reference:

I owned a Deuce Stage I for about a month
I've played the Deuce/Trident Stage II
I own an Ace Combo but haven't played the head

The Stage II feels like it has a lot more gain on tap to my ears and it loses a little bit of that magic low-gain territory because it's more aggressive.

Surprisingly, the Ace combo sounds more like a Stage I did than a Stage II. Doesn't make sense but it's true. I wonder how the heads compare.. maybe Barry can chime in here. I imagine the combo helps smooth out some of the aggression?

They're all good amps but I'd pick the Ace over and over in a side by side test.

i dont know about the ACE ,check out Plats clips,they sound pretty good.
now ,i just purchased a STAGE II STILETTO HEAD this past weekend,i havent really got a chance to crank it to club levels but so far i F'in love this amp.i feel sorry for my TREMOVERB combo,i dont think ill be playin it to much.

Platypus said:
For reference:

The Stage II feels like it has a lot more gain on tap to my ears and it loses a little bit of that magic low-gain territory because it's more aggressive.

Surprisingly, the Ace combo sounds more like a Stage I did than a Stage II. Doesn't make sense but it's true. I wonder how the heads compare.. maybe Barry can chime in here. I imagine the combo helps smooth out some of the aggression
They're all good amps but I'd pick the Ace over and over in a side by side test.

I asked Steve Mueller at Mesa/Boogie this question several months ago . he confirmed they were all the same except for wattage . Having said that if you lined up five Stilettos up in a row and A/B'd them im sure there would be some difference . Keep in mind lots of things effect the end result . Guitar, strings, tubes, picking style and one of the the things that effect the overall sound alot is the room you are playing in . Being a gigging player i come across this alot . Not only does the room itself effect it but how good is the power in the room you are playing ? Tone, its basically an elusive never ending journey but its a fun one .

Barry said:
Platypus said:
For reference:

Surprisingly, the Ace combo sounds more like a Stage I did than a Stage II. Doesn't make sense but it's true. I wonder how the heads compare.. maybe Barry can chime in here. I imagine the combo helps smooth out some of the aggression

I asked Steve Mueller at Mesa/Boogie this question several months ago . he confirmed they were all the same except for wattage . Having said that if you lined up five Stilettos up in a row and A/B'd them im sure there would be some difference . Keep in mind lots of things effect the end result . Guitar, strings, tubes, picking style and one of the the things that effect the overall sound alot is the room you are playing in . Being a gigging player i come across this alot . Not only does the room itself effect it but how good is the power in the room you are playing ? Tone, its basically an elusive never ending journey but its a fun one .

Yep definetly true, cool to know about Steve's response though. You can't really go wrong with the Stiletto, it's just a **** fine amp.

Back