Stiletto 212 vs. Lonestar 212

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This question probably gets asked a lot, but I haven't seen a question purely on the combos. Which do you think would be a better all around combo for jazz/blues and rock? Also how much does each weigh? I like a not so dark tone (brighter than a Rectifier) with lots of mids.

The first part of your question describes the Lone Star Classic... ie. Jazz... Blues... & Classic Rock...

The Lone Star and the Stiletto are "Bookend" amps in my opinion (whatever it's worth) What I mean is that I believe that these two amps really were designed to be used together (ala Andy Timmons) Both amps are amazing but cover different sonic territories.

The Lones Star is a Fender on steroids and the Stiletto is a Marshall on steroids. It's like trying to say a Les Paul is better than a Stratocaster or visa versa. They are BOTH amazing and legendary.

They can both do Classic Rock and Blues... Just different flavours. If your into mids I'd go with the Stiletto... but get a deuce... unless you like the bright and brittle Ace (some people do). For Jazz the Stiletto will do it in Fat Clean but I'd look to the Lonestar Classic for the Jazz tones personally.

I guess I just have to decide whether I like Fender or Marshalls better. I think I prefer Marshall distortion, but I love me some good cleans. I like Vox-ish cleans. Could the Stiletto achieve those? I'm afraid that the Lonestar would be too scooped or dark on channel 2 for my tastes.

Why not a Lonestar Special 2x12 and use a Ts9 for that over the top distortion?

I have a TS808, but I normally set that up for a light overdrive. Then I use the second channel for heavier stuff. If I'm only going to use channel 1 then why not just buy a Fender?

Kiss My Axe said:
Which do you think would be a better all around combo for jazz/blues and rock?

... My personal choice would be that Tremoverb head you were selling?
but then that's just my opinion. :)

Actually, I love the Tremoverb. I just want a combo and I'm looking for something a little different.

Out of the Lonestar and Stiletto, which is less compressed? I figure that the Stiletto would be less since Marshalls are generally less compressed than Fenders. I'm going for a raw crunch and a sparkly clean.

Tite Clean on the Stiletto to me is very close to the chimey Vox clean.

Fat Clean is like a Fender Deluxe using EL34's

Crunch is Marshall

Tite Gain is Hot Rodded Marshall ++

Fluid Drive is like the MK Lead channel with a true EL34 power section not Simul Class

So you think the Stiletto would be better for me? That's what I thought also.

The Stiletto Ace has excellent cleans and distortion settings. You will love it. I tried the LoneStar Special and it was a good amp as well but being an old Marshall man that loves high gain distortion I went with the Ace.

Back