Steve Morse Music Man GAS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
FINALLY - another music man I enjoy. Well, this could be short-lived but it was the one I was most comfortable with so far. I've always been intrigued by these guitars because they're pretty technical and very different. I liked the Petrucci, but am not used to MM necks and the thing that always kinda turned me off was their superclose action and bouncy thin strings from the factory. Played an Axis long ago and was almost ready to trade in my Les Paul for it (I was fresh outta high school!) but it never happened. I did like the Axis Super Sport though. Then the Silhouette came under my radar once I started listening to Vinnie Moore and again it wasn't as much my cup of tea as I treid to make it. But this Steve Morse model felt the most like a Les Paul in my hands, not that that's how I judge guitars on quality but it was very comfortable I mean. And the strings weren't as bouncy. Also I'm usually not into crazy pickup layouts but I really liked this one and even used a middle position on it at one point when I was noodling around with it at guitar center. Anyone have one of these gutiars? I really liked it and might even consider getting that awesome purple sunset finish on one if I ever got one.

There's not that many EBMM players on here, but over on the Ernie Ball Forums you'll get lost of replies in a thread like this! I prefer the Petrucci. I think it is perfection in a guitar - but then again I am anti-Les Paul (no offense - just don't like anything about them). The standard Petrucci has been described as a 'super strat'. I modded mine to have a push/pull coil split tone pot so I can agree with the description. haha. It's got awesome pickups for just about anything as long as it has the original pickup in it. The D-Sonic is way too bright. The original custom wound (Steve's Special is the closest stock pickup to it) is much smoother. It makes EQing your amp much easier with less difference between the bridge brightness and neck darkness...

As for the Morse... I've never had the pleasure of playing one or even seeing one in person...

The Silhouette intrigues me too!

Steve's guitar is designed to be more like a Tele than a strat. Stick a lower horn on a tele and you, essentially, get the Morse.

if you like the neck of an axis, you´ll like the neck of the Y2D as well. it´s very similar, but it doesn´t has the assymetric shape. it´s a nice D shape an i love it.
if you are into LPs, you´ll not have any issues about the wight of the morse. it´s really heavy compared to an JP or Axis/EVH.

due to the PUP configuration it´s really versital. i felt in love the the neck/bridge PUP config for solos and the SC+bridge for cool rhythm stuff.
both models, the stoptail and the floyds are worth every $.
if i hadn´t bought another JP6 a few weeks ago, i would have bought a second Y2D, but this time with a hardtail, swap out the original bridge and put on a fishman piezo bridge, like i did with my hardtail peavey wolfgang.

purple sunset is an awesome looking color!

gSM_Y2D_fur_RW_Page.jpg

I have two Silo's.6 bolts from 89 and90. I've Teled up the ash. If you like the feel and playability,you can always change the pickups.They have a swiming pool rout,so almost any pups will fit.
100_0647-1.jpg
100_0679-1-1.jpg

I think there are plenty of Music Man players on the Boogie Board.

I have a JP6 and an Axis Super Sport. The other guitarist in my band, Derek, has a JP6 and the SM-Y2D. He fell in love with it after writing the review and couldn't bear to send it back to Ernie Bal :p. I do find the JP6 neck just a hair narrower than I'd prefer, but the guitar has unbeatable sound and functionality with how it's wired with the Piezo. We make active use of the acoustic capabilities in our band, Days Before Tomorrow, where we're constantly switching from acoustic to heavy electric parts at the turn of a... 16th note :p.

Here's the in-depth review of the Steve Morse guitar:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2008/0608_MusicManSM.php

Scott

joe web said:
if you like the neck of an axis, you´ll like the neck of the Y2D as well. it´s very similar, but it doesn´t has the assymetric shape. it´s a nice D shape an i love it.
if you are into LPs, you´ll not have any issues about the wight of the morse. it´s really heavy compared to an JP or Axis/EVH.

due to the PUP configuration it´s really versital. i felt in love the the neck/bridge PUP config for solos and the SC+bridge for cool rhythm stuff.
both models, the stoptail and the floyds are worth every $.
if i hadn´t bought another JP6 a few weeks ago, i would have bought a second Y2D, but this time with a hardtail, swap out the original bridge and put on a fishman piezo bridge, like i did with my hardtail peavey wolfgang.

purple sunset is an awesome looking color!

gSM_Y2D_fur_RW_Page.jpg

That is one baller guitar. MMMM... its purple.

Haha, baller indeed. Please tell me that was meant to be recited in a Dave Chappelle voice?

kingster911 said:
Haha, baller indeed. Please tell me that was meant to be recited in a Dave Chappelle voice?

Oh yeah, big time Dave Chappelle voice. Especially if the guitar is made of sugar, water, and of course purple. :lol: :lol:

I have a Vintage Sunburst Steve Morse Music Man that is currently my main guitar I use with my original band, OurAfter. My #2 guitar is a modified Ibanez ABJS100. I installed a newer bridge and Air Norton and Steve Special pickups in it. But the SMMM is stock and sounds slammin!

I love this guitar! I traded a PRS Swamp Ash Special for it. The PRS would not stay in tuned so I got rid of it.

I can go from smooth leads to crunchy rhythm to twangy tele tones in seconds.

This guitar also sounds great in Drop-D.

Here she is ...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leggodt/3493038962/

Latest posts

Back