Steve Lukather sound from the 85-90's (Isolation-Fahrenheit)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobnew

Reaction score
Hi,

I own a Mark V and I'd like to be close to the sounds of Steve Lukather during the time he used Boogie amps.

I know he used IIC+ amps a short head for lead tone and 2 long heads for clean tone.

Do you know which settings he used with those amps and the settings of the EQ.

I don't want to copy the exact sound because I know I used a lot of stuffs, it's almost impossible to have the same big sound and I know it comes from Luke's fingers but we can be close to the sound and that's what I want.

So if anyone can help ???

Thank you.

I have his exact settings that he used on the long heads. His tone was very wet with effects, though. Let me dig up a picture for you...

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

Elpelotero said:
I have his exact settings that he used on the long heads. His tone was very wet with effects, though. Let me dig up a picture for you...

Thank you,

so the long heads are for cleans, right ?

gobnew said:
Elpelotero said:

Thank you,

so the long heads are for cleans, right ?

Sort of. He used them as power amps because they were 180 watts and had lots of headroom. The main tones came from the short head Simul-Class C+. I think that explains why the drive knobs are set to 0. I guess he was only using the Volume knob.

Here's some more....
SteveLukather.jpg

lukerig3.jpg

There's a video out there of an instructional video he did called star licks where he explains his rig, as well. But I can't find it.

lesterpaul said:
hey Gobnew...did you notice El's signature?he is the expert here for sure :D Do it, Ethel!!!!

Oh yes I just noticed it... he's the Master, he owns the Amp.

By the way, thank you Elpelotero for the pictures and informations :wink: :wink: :wink:

How does the Luke amp sounds ???

gobnew said:
lesterpaul said:
hey Gobnew...did you notice El's signature?he is the expert here for sure :D Do it, Ethel!!!!

Oh yes I just noticed it... he's the Master, he owns the Amp.

By the way, thank you Elpelotero for the pictures and informations :wink: :wink: :wink:

How does the Luke amp sounds ???

Amazing. The only thing I can imagine being better is a Simul-Class Coliseum because this one gets a little bright for my taste. But the advantage of this head is that I can turn the volume really high to get my gain tones and when I switch to clean, there's no breakup or distortion because of the 180watts. There are only 86 of these heads in the world--Simul or not--so I don't mind it being a bit bright.

You must be happy with this head because it's a rare one and it sounds good !!!

In the star licks Video Luke says that he uses teh long head for cleans... :?:

So if not, what does he use for cleans ?

Maybe you can tell me what effects he's using at the time of Isolation and Fahrenheit, in the video we can hear the chorus but there's something else... like a flanger... but I don't think he uses one.

he used the coli's in stereo config.-I believe he used a C+ simul head/dummy load for the saturated tone-ton o'f effects..all fed into 2 Coli's set up clean
..he used Eventide stuff as well/if its an effect, Luke used it..."grease", as he called it...didnt he have an effect he called the "sex box"?..got to get me one of those :)

lesterpaul said:
he used the coli's in stereo config.-I believe he used a C+ simul head/dummy load for the saturated tone-ton o'f effects..all fed into 2 Coli's set up clean

thanks.
And how do you set a good clean with your amp ?

see above pics/my bass knob is around 2-3 however-i keep my limit on zero to enjoy all the savage brutality and sonic orgasmatronia(yep..made that one up!)
oops..you are referring to the V,arent you?check out some of the settings on the sticky in this area-the V settings database....I will find a few threads for you
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701
should be some info here if I remember correctly-we set up the V after a/b'ing with C+ amps-should help!

lesterpaul said:
see above pics/my bass knob is around 2-3 however-i keep my limit on zero to enjoy all the savage brutality and sonic orgasmatronia(yep..made that one up!)
oops..you are referring to the V,arent you?check out some of the settings on the sticky in this area-the V settings database....I will find a few threads for you
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701
should be some info here if I remember correctly-we set up the V after a/b'ing with C+ amps-should help!

yes I'm referring to the V.

Thank you for the help... :wink:

lesterpaul said:
..he used Eventide stuff as well/if its an effect, Luke used it..."grease", as he called it...didnt he have an effect he called the "sex box"?..got to get me one of those :)

I'd like to own on of those Eventides too....

Elpelotero,

I understood that Luke used the long head as power amps, so why setting the treble, bass and mid knob on those heads, the settings should come from the short head, no ?

I'd like to know what are the settings on the short head if someone knows ?

gobnew said:
Elpelotero,

I understood that Luke used the long head as power amps, so why setting the treble, bass and mid knob on those heads, the settings should come from the short head, no ?

good question....

Elpelotero said:
gobnew said:
Elpelotero,

good question....

Ah ah ah !!!!

So the settings you gave to me are for clean sound ???

Sorry if I misunderstand, English is not my mother tongue... :roll:

You may be right...They may be for clean. It's difficult to say for sure.

The white markings on the knobs were simply on there when I got it, so it could only mean they were his settings for something...clean or dirty.

Elpelotero said:
You may be right...They may be for clean. It's difficult to say for sure.

The white markings on the knobs were simply on there when I got it, so it could only mean they were his settings for something...clean or dirty.

These settings work great with the lead tone on the Mark V (IIC+ mode).

gobnew said:
Elpelotero,

If I got the settings right from the video, here you are:

- Vol1: 6
- Treble: 6.75 (pull shift)
- Bass: 5.75 (pull shift)
- Mid: 5
- Master1: 5 (pull depth)
- Lead Drive: 7.5
- Lead Master: 8 (pull bright)

EQ IN with a very soft V shape. Actually, the 240 Hz, the 2200 Hz and the 6600 Hz sliders seem to be in center position with the 80 Hz one third up and the 750 Hz barely below the center line.

Of course, I haven't been able to test these settings... I don't have EMG active pickups and I cannot set the Master at 5.
Regards

Latest posts

Back