Stereo guitar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funksoldier

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how to run a guitar stereo??

I know the guitar is mono instrument but i know that you can run a guitar in stereo with effects and spread the sound. What do you need in order to run in stereo? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

In order to do a stereo set-up, you will need a couple of things. There are numerous different ways to accomplish this, but I'll use my set-up as an example.

At the very least you need some sort of stereo effect to split the signal into left and right. This could be either a stereo pedal (chorus pedals and delay pedals often have this option), or a stereo effects rack unit. I have all three (1) a stereo delay pedal, (2) a stereo chorus pedal, and (3) a midiverb rack unit that is stereo. Right now I'm not favoring the midiverb - instead I use my old Boss chorus pedal to split my signal.

The next thing you need is either two amps or a pre-amp and a separate stereo power amp.

Here's what I do: I run two effects loops - one in front of the amp (i.e., not in the loop), and one in the loop.

I come out of effects send on my main amp (an F-50) and go into a rack tuner. Then rack tuner > rack reverb > delay pedal > chorus pedal.

The chorus pedal has a left and right output. The left output goes into the effects return of the F-50, and the right output goes into the effects return of my other amp (a DC-3).

This way the pre-amp of the F-50 is driving the power amps in the F-50 and the DC-3. (When you go into the effects return, all you're using is the power amp section of that amp.

When the chorus pedal is engaged, you get a full chorus that's spread left and right.

As I said, there are numerous variations of this, but that's one way to do it. Running in stereo is very cool. If you have the gear, try it - you'll like it. It's a headache to set up, but once you get it down, it's great.

Plumptone's method works great. Currently I plug my guitar into either a Vox Tonelab LE or a Korg Toneworks AX1000G and then run a cord to my Subway Blues and one to my Peavey Backstage 50 (just keep laughing, you will have a tube go out on stage and I will never miss a note :D ). I find it sounds more focused and "stereo" if the amps are closer together. The farther apart I put them the more washed out and indistinct it sounds to me. After I get my Maverick fixed I will run it as my main amp and run the effects box in the effects loop out. Since the Mav has a parallel loop I don't need a return for it to work. So, left and right out on the effects box will go to the Subway and Backstage. Even bigger than stereo with the normal center channel and left/right effects channels. I am sure others will chime in with different methods. I love the 3d sound of stereo, even if it drives the sound guy nuts and the audience can't hear it. Please yourself first, then play your *** off!

Thanks for the reply guys!! Just excellent.

Does anyone here run a dry Overdrive sound in stereo??

What are the benefits of this? Would you get a tighter sound if in mono?

You might want to look at the Boss site. They should have a document that you can download that gives you the pecking order that effects should take to maximize the quality of the sound.

Any overdrive would appear in front of things like chorus or delay which would split into stereo capability.

I would recommend trying to listen critically to songs you like and see if you can tell what the are using. Something that sounds like it might have been done in stereo might well be two takes on two tracks mixed down in stereo.

stereo is also done string by string. some yamaha accoustics have this feature from the factory build in. e-left, a-right, d-left and so on. you can also pan how wide the effect is, sounds nice!

like the others i have the same amps running with one preamp using a digital effect to produce the stereo signal and return to the poweramps from the efffect. works nice. its also fun to use three amps: left and right for tthe effects and the middle one direct line only. very transparent sound

dean69 said:
stereo is also done string by string. some yamaha accoustics have this feature from the factory build in. e-left, a-right, d-left and so on. you can also pan how wide the effect is, sounds nice!

like the others i have the same amps running with one preamp using a digital effect to produce the stereo signal and return to the poweramps from the efffect. works nice. its also fun to use three amps: left and right for tthe effects and the middle one direct line only. very transparent sound

Yes, Ovation also made guitars with the alternating string stereo effect. Gretsch made some stereo guitars in the 60's with pickups that gave you the low three strings left and the high three right. Fun when you stretch the G string across the field and it pans left to right! Gibson still makes at least one stereo guitar, the Lucille has separate outputs for each pickup. Rickenbacker makes stereo guitars wired the same way - the famous Rick-o-sound. Not sure if Carvin still offers this option but they used to. Running one pickup to each amp also means you could set up your rig for channel switching (actually amp switching) right on the guitar. Fun!! :D :D :D

Try this: http://www.bossus.com/Manuals/3884_GuitarEffects_US_200(1).pdf

It is basically their catalog of effects pedals, but down the page is a layout of their recommended way to chain effects.

I actually have the Ovation stereo guitar which takes every other string and pans left or right. I never though it sounded worth a sh_t.

Sometimes people confuse the notion of stereo with similar effects. The stereo is basically recreating the way you perceive sound as you hear live sounds. All the refelctions given your placement to the source influence what stereo sounds like. It is very subtle.

Many times, using chorus, reverb, and delay, not so suble sounds can be produced that sound 'stereo' in nature, but are really mostly way over the top compared to a live performance. Using effects can be a good way though to have your one guitar going into what would normally be a mono setup sound like it is blended with another across a wide soundstage.

My opinion is that with these effects, start with the lowest settings and work your way up if necessary. Less can be more.

How about trying to run stereo set ups utilizing two preamps?...

I have a Mark IV and am contemplating the Mark IV preamp - send to pedal board reverb > return to Mark IV + second effects return.

Might be interesting to get an extra layer by utilizing second preamp... possibly a rectifier. would love to hear some ideas.

kk said:
How about trying to run stereo set ups utilizing two preamps?...

I have a Mark IV and am contemplating the Mark IV preamp - send to pedal board reverb > return to Mark IV + second effects return.

Might be interesting to get an extra layer by utilizing second preamp... possibly a rectifier. would love to hear some ideas.

That would be parallel processing but not true stereo until you add another amp and speaker. Still fun, no other way to get some of those sounds.

Here's my (stereo) '83 Carvin DC150! Note the jackplate!

carvin002.jpg

Can't say I have ever seen that before. What does that run the bridge pick up out of one jack and the neck out of the other?

Latest posts

Back