Step Down Transformer Mark IV Wattage?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklesmcgraw

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just bought a Mark IV from the States. As I live in the UK, I will need a step down transformer for it to run properly off a 240v power supply.

I will obviously need a step down transformer for this but my question is what rating of transformer do I need?

The amp is rated at 85 watts, but the speaker at 200 watts I think? What is the maximum output of this amp?

Thanks for any input!

sparklesmcgraw

:twisted:

The step up transformer you will need will have to be a min. of 500 watts so you don't over heat it. It will convert
110/120v to 220/240v.

500 watts? Really?

Seems very high for an 85 watt amp. Do you know the official maximum amplifier output of a Mark IV?

I would imagine it is written on the back of the amp although I cant find any good pics of the back panel.

Can't wait to get this thing, my first decent tube amp. My neighbours are going to hate me!

Cheers

times the fuse rating by the input voltage. so 3 amps X 120 volts= 360 watts . I would use a 500watt's, just so you have the heat head room.

Tom

And you would want a step down trensformer too. One that will have 220 volts on the primary and 110v on the secondary.this way your amp will get the 120volts and you can plug it into your 220 volt wall.

What a pile of cr*p! I regularly run american voltage boogies using a 100 watt step down transformer for 117volts and i run 2 60 watters off a step down transformer rated at 300 watts.Another pile of sh**e that i regularly read is that you need to half the value of your fuses in your amp when using a step down transformer...DONT DO IT!!! your transformer is supplying the correct power supply to your amp halfing your fuses rating will give you the wrong rated fuse( i think peoples thinking on this is that because your halfing the voltage you have to half the fuse tsk, tsk).I,ve also read that you should disconect your ground switch to avoid the risk of electric shock when using an american mains amp....i do this but my amp tech says this should not be nescesary...p.s. i,m going to post a thread on this topic to help clear things up on this for us brits who use american boogies!

Yes, defeat the ground switch by all means, and don't forget to stand in that puddle over there... :lol:

bartchamdoh said:
What a pile of cr*p! I regularly run american voltage boogies using a 100 watt step down transformer for 117volts and i run 2 60 watters off a step down transformer rated at 300 watts.Another pile of sh**e that i regularly read is that you need to half the value of your fuses in your amp when using a step down transformer...DONT DO IT!!! your transformer is supplying the correct power supply to your amp halfing your fuses rating will give you the wrong rated fuse( i think peoples thinking on this is that because your halfing the voltage you have to half the fuse tsk, tsk).I,ve also read that you should disconect your ground switch to avoid the risk of electric shock when using an american mains amp....i do this but my amp tech says this should not be nescesary...p.s. i,m going to post a thread on this topic to help clear things up on this for us brits who use american boogies!

don't really understand what your saying but anyway.

Yes you should never change the fuse rating unless you have change the input voltage.

This is how you work out your wattage.

http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/wcee/keep/Mod1/Flow/watts2.htm

:D

Tom

Step up and a step down!?

Im confused now.

Will this work?

http://www.netpcdirect.co.uk/step-down-transformers/stepdown_500_watt.html

my mark 3 says 200w max near the power cord, I have a 200w step down tranny, it only gives me the choice of 110 volt, but I'm never gonna crank the amp, so am I ok?

Back