Static, crackling, hissing noise??? Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdp

Reaction score
Hey, I own a Lonestar 100 watt head, and the matching 4x10" cabinet. I love the tones, and it's never 'died' on me, but it is making a hissing, crackling, static type of noise. This beauty isn't even a year old, and has left the basement exactly twice for gigs. 99% of the time she is in the basement for rehearsals (about two a month). While I love Mesas, my F-50 (has since been traded in) did the same thing - very noisy.
Can somebody offer me any suggestions?

My Lonestar does'nt do that. Start with the tubes and worst comes to worst your warrenty will cover other things that might be wrong.

My Mark IV is doing that as well.

I bought it about a six months ago, new.

I cant imagine the tubes are bad yet, but I guess its possible.

Its a sound like when you get a dirty pot on your guitars volume knob and you hear the scratch come through the amp, though with the amp its a constant scratch sound.

Two stories.............

Story 1:

I'd definately check the preamp tubes. I sold my Rectoberb to a guy and I put brand new Mesa Boogie preamp tubes in it 3 months earlier and he contacted last week because the distortion channel was GONE.... After a few emails back and forth, he got a hold of Boogie support and they suggested a bad preamp tube, which I was 110% sure it wouldn't be that since they were only 3 months old and about 40 hours of playing on them.

Sure enough, he swapped out the V3 tube (or V2) and that was the issue.

Story 2:

Back in December of last year, I got my first boogie. It was a Triple Rectifier only 1 1/2 years old and in MINT shape. I played with it a few times at home and it sounded fine, then at a gig that week I turned it on and it sounded all hissy and crackely and I didn't know what it could be, so I tapped on all the preamp tubes and they all seemed fine but I went ahead and swapped out the V1 tube and turned it back on and that fixed the problem.

Another thing to check would be your guitar cable?? A guitar cable that has some loose wires in it or that isn't sheilded too good (due to make or normal wear and tear) can make your amp sound crackely and hissy.

Another thing to check, make sure you don't have a bowl of Rice Crispy's or Pop-Rock's in the back of your amp....That'll do it too :wink:

Thanks for the tips and advice: I guess I'll be spending some quality time checking tubes this weekend...admittedly a bit annoying considering the amount of coin I laid out for this amp. I'd be a little more willing to write it off as bad luck if my F-50 combo didn't do the exact same thing the entire year I owned it.
I do own a Fender, and a Bogner. The Lone Star out performs them both in terms of tone, but is definitely the noisiest (and yet the most pampered) of the three. Maybe if I dragged it around to gigs, spilled beer on the top of it, left it sitting out int he back of my van or garage for weeks at a time...

Oh no - can't make that trade amigo! The Bogner has been a workhorse, and the clean channel is right up there with the best of them! I know this is a Boogie forum, so I'll leave it at that..thanks for the offer though!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back