Standby POP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xevilchrisx

Reaction score
Hey

My Mark V makes a huge pop sound (sounds a little like when switching between 10w/45w/90w on the go just louder), whenever I put it in standby after playing. What could that be and is it bad for the amp?

Rgds
Chris

Try swapping you phase inverter tube with a known good 12AX7/ECC83. I had this problem on my Marshall and a faulty phase inverter was the cause.

I noticed it doesn't happen to me when Mute is engaged, so I'm trying to remember to tap Mute before going to Standby. Interesting about the tube...

Popping is normal I believe - both my Mesa's do it, but engaging mute on the V fixes it as you suggest

Chester said:
Popping is normal I believe - both my Mesa's do it, but engaging mute on the V fixes it as you suggest
Well, not quite a fix, you are simply masking it by muting the amp. Whatever was causing the pop is most likely still happening, you just can't hear it now.

BTW- neither my Roadster or MKV pop when going into or out of standby. I would try a new PI tube as suggested to see if it stops the pop.

Dom

I had the amp running at full blast yesterday 90w channel 3 with good amount of volume and this time I DIDN'T get the pop when switching in to standby. Foot-switch wasn't connected. Instead I found a microphonic tube when switching into the mark IV mode.

Latest posts

Back