Standard vs Traditional Recto Cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with both?

I have a Std Recto cab and play either my 3ch Dual Rec or 5150II through it. Definitely sounds huge and I like it for the most part. **** thing is really big though and I suddenly find myself thinking I should trade up for a cab that will actually fit in my trunk :oops:

I know people say the traditional is tighter, but what other differences are there?

i own the bigger one and have played the TRD at guitar center. i played each w. rectifiers. i honestly didn't find any differences besides the tightness. some people say more mids, but i think they're just hearing a clearer signal overall.

I have standard cab with my Roadster head. Last weekend I pick up with me my A/B swicth (only for a short test) to test the STD and the TRAD (4X12 v30 both) one beside the other. Same guit, same cable, same amp (Roadster head) and yes the STD is very superior, more bass, more high, more definition with each channel. The TRAD is more mid only. So for me, it was the only way to decide one winner, I keep my Standard cab. (excuse my bad english)

Coeur de Blues said:
I have standard cab with my Roadster head. Last weekend I pick up with me my A/B swicth (only for a short test) to test the STD and the TRAD (4X12 v30 both) one beside the other. Same guit, same cable, same amp (Roadster head) and yes the STD is very superior, more bass, more high, more definition with each channel. The TRAD is more mid only. So for me, it was the only way to decide one winner, I keep my Standard cab. (excuse my bad english)

That's nice to hear since I'm waiting on my roadster head to arrive. I have the standard cab sitting right here waiting for some power to be delivered.

:D

shnapper said:
Coeur de Blues said:

That's nice to hear since I'm waiting on my roadster head to arrive. I have the standard cab sitting right here waiting for some power to be delivered.

I prefer the trad . box . I have it and i love it. The standard was too loose and bassy for my taste

I can notice the difference, bass is defintly tighter on a traditional, not as much bottem end either, but who really needs that much?

It is really hard to compare two speaker cabinets, unless you buy them right off the line brand new and never played. Reasons for this is break in time. And even if you play each cabinet for the same amount of time does not mean they will both break in exactly the same.

I currently have two traditonal cabs, one has been well broken in and sounds nice and smooth, the other is newer and still has alot of highs that arent so pleasent!

Now I have compared two older cabs, one trad slant to one standard slant front and there is a difference. Defintly tighter bass, this will not change with age, mostly the highs and shrillness is what changes with age. Yes there was also slightly more mid, not much, but it was there.

Over all both are great cabs, if you want to take your standard and make it more like a traditional in sound just get some filling and put it inside the cab and it will tighten it up some.

shnapper said:
Coeur de Blues said:

siggy14 said:
I can notice the difference, bass is defintly tighter on a traditional, not as much bottem end either, but who really needs that much?

It is really hard to compare two speaker cabinets, unless you buy them right off the line brand new and never played. Reasons for this is break in time. And even if you play each cabinet for the same amount of time does not mean they will both break in exactly the same.

I currently have two traditonal cabs, one has been well broken in and sounds nice and smooth, the other is newer and still has alot of highs that arent so pleasent!

Now I have compared two older cabs, one trad slant to one standard slant front and there is a difference. Defintly tighter bass, this will not change with age, mostly the highs and shrillness is what changes with age. Yes there was also slightly more mid, not much, but it was there.

Over all both are great cabs, if you want to take your standard and make it more like a traditional in sound just get some filling and put it inside the cab and it will tighten it up some.

What do you mean by filling? Tell me more please.

Latest posts

Back