Standard Recto 4X12 with Greenback & Vintage 30 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backmt

Reaction score
Hi Everybody. I just got standard Recto 4x12 Cab not long ago. Over all
I am happy with sound but I kind miss my old marshall cab. It had 2 set of G12 & 2 sets of Greenback combo. It did sound good with my Mesa Head. But I did sold it and got Mesa Cab..... Mesa cab has great tight sound and kick *** bottom but it is little too boomy in my ear. So I am thinking to change 2 of Vintage 30 to Greenback! Is it too crazy? Or just get Marshall back? Maybe get 2 x12 Mesa Cab. Please help me everybody!!!! I am open for any suggestions!

the boominess is in the nature of the cab...All the oversized cabs are voiced to give deep lows to complement the rectifier sound. If you want a tighter sound, the traditional stilleto cab is better.

Elpelotero said:
the boominess is in the nature of the cab...All the oversized cabs are voiced to give deep lows to complement the rectifier sound. If you want a tighter sound, the traditional stilleto cab is better.

especially if you dug that marshall you had because the stiletto cabs are similar in size

Dear jdurso & Elpelotero. Thank you so much for the quick respond. Boomy sound is the Nature of this cab..... I guess changing the speaker might not help. What you guys think about 2 X12 recto Cab? Is it more boomy since
it is small box?

backmt said:
What you guys think about 2 X12 recto Cab? Is it more boomy since
it is small box?

I'd say yes.. even though it is a small box, it's designed the same style as the other rectifiers -series cabinets, massive low end.

And what comes to the combination of V30 and greenbacks.. the greenbacks are way less sensitive than the vintage 30, and for that i've heard that the greenbacks don't push out of the sound that much since the v30's are louder.
(greenbacks 97db and v30's 100db)

If you ever considering going back to the Marshall, I've got a Marshall 1960B 4 x 12 cab that is in mint condition that I've been looking to trade for a Recto 4 x 12.

Dear Spherion. Thanks for the offer but I am keeping my recto for now.
I think I will get Marshall again but not now. Again. Thanks for the offer.

backmt said:
Dear jdurso & Elpelotero. Thank you so much for the quick respond. Boomy sound is the Nature of this cab..... I guess changing the speaker might not help. What you guys think about 2 X12 recto Cab? Is it more boomy since
it is small box?

you may want to look into a vented cab like a port city wave or freda live.... i find boominess usually comes with the territory of an oversized closedback cabs out there.... i like it for some stuff and i find with other stuff it sucks the life out of the tone.... which is why you may want to find two 2x12s that compliment one another by covering different territories.... say like a mesa recto 2x12 for the tight, big low end stuff (or even a VHT FB 2x12)... and then mix that with something like the vented cabs mentioned above or a nice open back cab..... with openbacks and vented cabs you dont get the boominess because the air is dispersed in a multi-directional fashion.... closed backs like the mesas or vhts push the air in a very directional fashion..... mixing the two produces some great tone .... or you could just by a mesa halfback and get the best of both worlds in once cab.... i'm selling mine if you're interested.... i'm going back to my original plan of 2 2x12s (already have a basson 2x12) because trying to push 6 speakers requires me to turn up to the point where i shake the trusses in my house (ok thats a little exagerated)

Hi jdurso. Thanks for the update. I guess there are so many small company
out there that I don't know! Anyway. I just like to let you know that I am still trying to find sweet tone out of Mesa Cab and I am kind getting used to
the sound but I am not 100% happy yet. My problem is I love so many different music style. I love Thrash, Metal, Hard Rock, R&R, Blues Rock, Rockabilly and more. I guess I am asking too much from only one amp. Do I? Don't get me wrong, I am so happy that I finally got Mesa Head & Cab matching combo! It looks so sweet and it dose make me so proud that I own Mesa! But I really thinking to keep this cab for now and I will get another mesa 2 x 12 or Marshall 1960TV 100w greenback 4 x12. Then I will decide which one I will keep. ( Men, my wallet is screaming now!!! and my wife!)
Again, Thanks for the update & all cool info. You Rock Jdurso!

I thought the same about the boomy recto cab. I did what bogner did with the ubers.....put a pair of GT75 at 8 ohms into your recto cab. really great sound not as boomey.

Hi badcats2k. Thanks for the new info. Some reason I didn't think about
GT75 speaker option. I always loved the greenback sound from Marshall
but you are right, GT75 does make also Marshall sound too. As I mentioned on this post, I am kind getting used to the Mesa Cab sound but I still think
this Cab is really for Metal style only not so much of other style...... I just like to use all my TOV head channel well. Anyway Thanks for the good tip!
Oh, one more. You said 8 ohms for GT75. So all the vintage 30 in the Mesa are all 8 ohms?

Latest posts

Back