SQUEELING AND FEEDBACK!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
Hey, I noticed on my mark III when it's master volume is past 1, it just starts squeeling.. my settings are

vol - 8
treb - 8*
bass -2
mid -5
mas - 1 +
l.d - 8*
l.m - 4*
pres - 6

* = pulled, so it's a high gain setting, and anywhere after 1 , it just starts feeding back and squeeling uncontrollably, it does this in my C+ but it's weird because the setting on those are at decent gain levels.. does it have anythign to do with how close I am to the amp? because I was about 10 ft away from the amp and cab but it still squeels.. I was thinking of picking up an ISP decimator.. will this do the job?

How long has the squealing been going on? Is it with a certain guitar....in other words, does it squeal with one guitar, but not the next? It could be that the pickups in the guitar are microphonic. Also when was the amp serviced last? If it's not the pickups, it might be a mircophonic tube.

well, i know it's not the guitar, it's proably a microphonic tube, but it seems after a certain amount of gain on every mesa amp it goes squeely and all that, i'll probably get a ISP decimator

The decimator works great at cutting out the squeel. I use one in front of my amps. Using a good cable also helps. My ProCo cables will squeel like a pig in front of my boosted JCM800 but I use my Evidence cable and it's quiet.

sounds killer, but for 400$ i'd rather buy 2 pedals and put it in a drawer with any other misc pedals I might need in the future.

Nick_cor said:
sounds killer, but for 400$ i'd rather buy 2 pedals and put it in a drawer with any other misc pedals I might need in the future.

A decimator pedal in the loop + another one out front will come close to the Pro Rack G. You will not get the filter tracking control, though. I figured you might be more inclined to the rackmount, since both of your amps are this way. They also offer a "stereo mod" version in the rackmount.

You may be connected too close to other electrical appliances or its the wiring in your house.

Nick I've been meaning to ask you, why did you sell the Mark IV?

fpoon said:
You may be connected too close to other electrical appliances or its the wiring in your house.

Nick I've been meaning to ask you, why did you sell the Mark IV?

Hey, yeah if that can be the reason why im getting lots of squeeling and feedback, then that mkae sense, cuz theres a lamp post right beside my rack, and a telephone on it, and then like 6 inches away theres an electrical outlet, that feeds my power conditoner and IIC+ ...

I sold my mk IV for the IIC+ , to tell you the truth, right now, if i had to choose between mark IV and a IIC+ , i'd sell my mark III !!! lol it was a real tough decision, 58% to 42% difference.. so it was tight, right now, i'm trying to make a plan on selling my mark III so i can save up for a IV , I really like my mark III though, but i find it not that good for a solo tone, my mark C+ sounds more tighter and just more like a lead tone, anyways i'm blabbing on ! mesa boogie all the way!

Ha yea I understand.

If your planning on getting a noise gate or suppressor though I recommend an MXR Smart Gate. It eliminated all the squeeling and hum for my Mark IV because I too was connected close to my T.V and lamps etc. However I never tried the ISP so you should try both of them out.

I've tried both the MXR smart gate and the iSP Decimator. The MXR can be used to get rid of hiss OR hum with a switch to select the type of noise filter. It has a pretty good gate on it. It adapts to how hard you pick and adjusts the gate accordingly. The iSP works well also, but it is a little harder gate. It is easy to use and works great, but if you turn your volume down, it will continue to cut out your sound when it gets below a certain threshold. If you play cranked all the time, get the iSP, if you like to roll your knob back sometimes, get the MXR. Both do their job equally well, but the MXR seems to be more useful for a variety of noise problems. BUT, the iSP works better in the loop compared to the MXR. Try both out...

MusicManJP6 said:
I've tried both the MXR smart gate and the iSP Decimator. The MXR can be used to get rid of hiss OR hum with a switch to select the type of noise filter. It has a pretty good gate on it. It adapts to how hard you pick and adjusts the gate accordingly. The iSP works well also, but it is a little harder gate. It is easy to use and works great, but if you turn your volume down, it will continue to cut out your sound when it gets below a certain threshold. If you play cranked all the time, get the iSP, if you like to roll your knob back sometimes, get the MXR. Both do their job equally well, but the MXR seems to be more useful for a variety of noise problems. BUT, the iSP works better in the loop compared to the MXR. Try both out...

Hmm... i was thinking of getting two ISP pedals, one for each amp.. it's kind of stupid that their rackmount version is 400$ but a pedal is 100$

Hey guys,
Nick the Mark IV is doing great hehe, and for any squeeling you're getting I would recommend a Rocktron Hush. Easily the most rounded for either in front or in loop noise suppression. My friend bought one and brought it over and wow! Really great and didn't kill any of the makr IV's sustain, although that would be hard to do anyway :p
Cheers,
Chris

P.S. If you're confused it's Chris from Australia :p

Nic, the squealing shouldn't be happening, even if you maxxed out all of the volume controls. Even though the owner manual discourages maxxing everything out...and if you did to expect the squealing...these amps shouldn't squeal unless something is microphonic.

With no guitar plugged into the amp, you should be able to turn the amp up all of the way...does it squeal? If you suspect your lamp of phone, unplug them...does it squeal?

I'd replace you preamp tubes with Mesa's Spax7a's long before I'd place a noise reduction unit inline. All noise reduction units have some type of affect on the original signal. Consider that the signal has to travel through the reduction unit's circuitry...that does degrade the original signal.

Cell phone interference can cause a unique sound with any amp design if the phone is close enough, but it won't cause squealing. If you suspect the lamp, plug the light into your power conditioner...however, it shouldn't be causing the problem, it means there's a shielding problem within the amp or a microphonic tube or tubes.

How old is the amp that is squealing? Has it always done this since you got it? the answers can lead to the fix.....

chris_EIT said:
Hey guys,
Nick the Mark IV is doing great hehe, and for any squeeling you're getting I would recommend a Rocktron Hush. Easily the most rounded for either in front or in loop noise suppression. My friend bought one and brought it over and wow! Really great and didn't kill any of the makr IV's sustain, although that would be hard to do anyway :p
Cheers,
Chris

P.S. If you're confused it's Chris from Australia :p

Hey chris! glad to hear! hey listen, when you have a chance go on msn i need to ask you something! I might be selling the C+ everyone!

MusicManJP6 said:
I thought the Hush pedal KILLED my tone. I tried it with my XXX a while back and promptly returned it.

If the Hush killed your tone, you have the threshold set too high. You need to set it to where it JUST closes when you stop playing. Set it too high, and it'll roll off your treble.

If you're getting squeeling, that's your pickups feeding back at high frequencies. Either cut your gain (oh, NO!) or go to a different pickup. I went to EMG's, which are encased in epoxy so they're one block and heavier. My pickup feedback disappeared, and I like the tone much better.

phaboo said:
MusicManJP6 said:
I thought the Hush pedal KILLED my tone. I tried it with my XXX a while back and promptly returned it.

If the Hush killed your tone, you have the threshold set too high. You need to set it to where it JUST closes when you stop playing. Set it too high, and it'll roll off your treble.

If you're getting squeeling, that's your pickups feeding back at high frequencies. Either cut your gain (oh, NO!) or go to a different pickup. I went to EMG's, which are encased in epoxy so they're one block and heavier. My pickup feedback disappeared, and I like the tone much better.

Thanks for nothing .. i'm not changing my pickusp to no dirty EMGs and "i like the tone" of mine much better. t hanks for coming out.

The self feedback or squealing with no input is common in early Boogies. This I confirmed with Mike B. yesterday. Normally the onset of this is at high ie. 5-9, settings. This can change drastically with different 12AX7's. Have high quality spares and experiment. The stereo footswitch jacks on the chassis can give symptoms similiar if they are oxidized. This is a common problem as they are old and seldom used.

Latest posts

Back