Spongy or Bold power??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually Spongy with Tube Rectifier for the blue channel and diodes for the red channel. 50 watts for both. The cleans with the sag and power amp break up is really nice.

On my Roadster , when Im home practicing at low volume...spongy just sounds so bouncy and warm ..I love it .

When I did my first gig with the new amp ( it was literally 2 days old ) I had it set on Spongy 50 watts ..rect tracking channel 3 )....for first two songs ( two guitar classic rock band ) ..I couldnt get enough edge or cut and my solos were barely heard....

Im thinking to myself ( as I frenetically drop the gain , boost the mids ..drop the bass..increase the presence ...and push volume higher with no good results }.....this amp is just to compressed and bassy just like the SOLO 50 Rectoverb head I bought/sold 5 years ago ...oh well back to GC it goes...gues Ill get a JVM or 5153 ...

..even my lead singer tells me its to kick it up ...he cant hear me...( man ..when lead vocalist tells you to turn up ..you just know it aint good ).

Then it hits me like a thunder bolt ....hey switch it to BOLD .....just before a solo comes ( the other guit is doing the flanger part of " are you Gonna Go My way...."Im starting to get sweaty and pale......because I have to solo ..I flick it and BANG ..there it is nice singing crunch cutting through mix.....it was so obvious ..my lead singer goes mid solo .."now thats what Im talking about!!" and my second guitarist with his DSL 100 looked like I kicked his puppy.....LOL

This is all going a crew is filming us (charity gig)...

Sorry for the long dramatic post ...but its was a learning experience you dont soon forget. Ah you gotta love new amp tweaking on the fly

So I guess Im going to say BOLD when live ...Spongy when home.

Looking forward to second gig next week with this amp...

nomad100hd said:
doesn't it make you chringe to buy an amp from GC knowing that some kid probably flicked all the switches back and forth while strumming a chord.

It is perfectly safe to switch rectifiers and bold/spongy settings without powering down. In fact, there's more stress on components when switching between standby and play.

spongy doesn't cut through when playing live. but it really drips the grease in the studio.

Back