Speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wbfree

Reaction score
I just bought a 5:50 head and I want to try some speakers, I have a Tonker and a Red Fang but want to try some higher watt speakers to see what I get out of the amp without speaker break up. I am bidding on a JBL K120 and an Altec 417-8c and looking at a Beyma Liberty 8 which is expensive, have any of you ever tried a Beyma?

If you have any on this I would appreciate it.
Thx
Burnie

Hey Burnie!! Gratz on the 5:50 head 8) . I know you're on the West Coast, and I'm on the East, but crank it up so I can hear it :shock: :lol:

I always upgrade the speakers in my amps. The best JBL speakers for guitar are the MI series and the g125. The K120 can be ice-picky, also true for the Altec stuff. Best bang for the buck is a Peavey Scorpion Plus or Ultra. The Black Widow with the paper dust cap (not the aluminum one) is also a great guitar speaker. Check your local pawnshops, craigslist etc. You can often buy one of the older solid state Peavey combos for squat and harvest the speakers. Put something else in there and sell the amp again. You can end up with great speakers for little or no money.

Hey,
I/O, 6v6, it will get to me end of next week, Like all things it should be here right now. Thanks for the input, I'll keep my eyes peeled (not really) I wish I could find someone here with some of this stuff, no luck yet..
Thx
Burnie
I knew you were lurking around someplace I/O :shock:

you said you have a tonker, well that's a fairly high wattage speaker that won't break up easily. i used to have one, the cleans were nice but i didn't care for the high end when there was distortion. but it could be that it wasn't the best match for the amp and tones i was going for.

I just bought a g12h-65 on ebay for a good price and I am trying to buy an Altec 417-8c. So now I have a Red fang a Tonker and a g12h-65.
A friend of mine has a Scumback. The other speaker I would like to try is a greenback which I don't have. That should give me a wide range of choices but man this is expensive, my excuse for extravagance is tone uber alles.
I can't wait to try all of them out with the 5:50. I am using the Tonker with my 5 watt Stephenson amp right now and it sounds okay, at medium volume it is not as good as it is at full volume.

Wbfree said:
I can't wait to try all of them out with the 5:50. I am using the Tonker with my 5 watt Stephenson amp right now and it sounds okay, at medium volume it is not as good as it is at full volume.

oh yeah, that speaker doesn't perform nearly as well unless you hit it with some volume.

I put a red fang in my 5:50 1x12 combo and fell in love. I did try a GB in there but it turned to mush really fast. If you mix the GB with another in your 2x12 it might sound great but in the combo alone it got overpowered.

jamme61 said:
I put a red fang in my 5:50 1x12 combo and fell in love. I did try a GB in there but it turned to mush really fast. If you mix the GB with another in your 2x12 it might sound great but in the combo alone it got overpowered.

I got my g12-65 yesterday, I turned my amp on with the Tonker in my cab and played for about ten minutes and then put the g12-65 in. It was like night and day, I am sure it is not broken in yet.

I played with single coils and on the bottom on the E and A strings first thru fourth fret it sounded a little harsh but I think that was my EQ and I kind of liked the tone.

After that this speaker gets better. I played with my Fender Showmaster, humbucker pups and solved a great part of the problem I have had with brightness in that guitar. I played the 24th fret on the high E and the icepick tone was gone, man am I happy, I was so disappointed with all the other speakers in addressing this, and I couldn't dial it out but now I can.

I don't feel qualified to give a great detailed analysis of this speaker but I can tell you without doubt it is far superior to the Tonker even if I turn up the volume.

I will try the Red Fang with the 5:50when I get it. when I play it with the amp (5 Watt octal amp running a very sweet el34), it gets loose on the bottom a bit and I don't like that but it is a very nice speaker.

My 5:50 just arrived while I was typing this Woot! But I might be in trouble because the Celestion speaker is 15 ohms and there are only 4 and 8 ohm connections on the 5:50. Can someone chime in about that.
Thx
Burnie

I talked to mesa about this and they said no problem with 16ohms. They said to use 8 ohms but that I could use 4 too and see if I like it. Bottom line is that the mesa's are ok with the mismatch, your good to go.

Hey Burnie - Gratz on the 5:50 showing up and glad you're liking the speaker as well. Look at the manual that comes with the Mesa. In my manual it says that running a 16 ohm load (speaker) off of the 8 ohm jack is an acceptable mismatch. It will likely change the tone some though. Read the manual carefully to make sure the 5:50 is the same as the Stiletto 8)

insideout said:
Hey Burnie - Gratz on the 5:50 showing up and glad you're liking the speaker as well. Look at the manual that comes with the Mesa. In my manual it says that running a 16 ohm load (speaker) off of the 8 ohm jack is an acceptable mismatch. It will likely change the tone some though. Read the manual carefully to make sure the 5:50 is the same as the Stiletto 8)

your right it's in the manual too.

jamme61 said:
insideout said:

your right it's in the manual too.

Hey Guys,
I got the amp but the person I bought it from forgot to send the manual and footswitch, it will be here monday or thereabouts, so I couldn't read any of that so thanks for the heads up. Call me crazy but if I even think something is not going to be optimum and I can do something about it I will, in this case I am operating in the dark somewhat, speakers are kind of a crap shoot because they have to like the amp there connected to. So I bought a scumback speaker which I was going to buy at some point anyhow and when it gets here I'll sell the Celestion and the Tonker I have if it sounds good and I am sure it will.
Thanks for the help
Burnie
Thanks for the input.

here's the link for the manual just click on express series
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Back