Speakers for Theile

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Fever

Reaction score
I have been following some of the discussion about Theile's and Mark IV's as I have a Mark IV Combo and would be interested in understanding how the ext cabinet would sound.

Since I know what the C90 sounds like in an open back bab, I would like to know how the Theile compares with the C90 and the EVM 12 that many people are using. Is the Theile a better choice than say a Stiletto or Recto 2X12 cab?

Lastly, can the cabinet be ordered from Mesa (or anyone else who makes them) without the C90 or with the EVM instead of the C90.

Thanks!

Hi.

The Thiele cabinet is really a great design. It sounds super big, has great sound spread, and is relatively lightweight.

The cab was designed for the EVM 12L so it really sounds how it's "supposed to" with that speaker. I have used a C90 in one, and a Mesa/Eminence Vintage 50, and those speakers both sound good in the cab but the EV really gives you the oomph.

You can still buy one from Mesa, but you can't get an EV. You can get a C90 or a V30 or a greenback.

Stiletto or Recto cabs are different sounding. Most people will say a single Thiele has as much bass as a Recto 2x12. However they may match your Mark IV cosmetically so you may like it more.

the ev speaker is really the one that belongs in that cab, but to satisfy my curiousity i have modeled a delta12 and a deltapro12 in the same cab. i cannot say how they will perform in real life but the specs are similar and the frequencies i can model (up to 500hz) are pretty close. the two delta models are almost identical, but they both seem like they would benifit from a slightly larger box and a slightly lower tuning. with the ev tl806 the delta's are about 1-1.5 db's higher around 110-120hz and 1-2 db's lower from 150-500. below 100hz the ev has the edge by 1-1.5 db's. i'm working from memory cause i did the simulation on another computer a couple of days ago, but they are indeed close. also an interesting note, the ev will actually handle more wattage before over excursion (187 watts) vs the delta's (155 i think) even though the deltas are rated at 400w rms vs. the ev's 300w rating. i modeled an original evm12l btw.

this is just computer modeling. i can't say how a delta would actually sound as most of the guitar's range is above 500hz. that requires a working prototype. maby i'll get around to it sometime.

Latest posts

Back