Speaker type / tube type combination

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabien

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm all new on this board. Seems to be THE gathering spot for Mesa die-hard!

I'll start with a question (as it should be 8) ).

What is your opinion about speaker type in combination with tube type.
I had earlier noticed on their online catalogue that the F50 (6L6) was delivered with an MC90 while the F30 (EL84) came with a Vintage 30.
Do you think it's because the V30 goes better with EL84 and MC90 with 6L6?

I have a Nomad 45 1x12 with a MC90 speaker. I know that the last incarnations of Nomads came with V30s on the 45 and MC90 on the other 6L6 models.

I plug it into a Carvin Legacy 2x12 open back with 2 Vintage 30. With the 2x12 cab only it sounds creamy and full but as a combo MC90 only it's brighter, less full and a bit grainy on channel 2 and 3. The cleans are then very punchy sparkling Boogie.
I might be able to lend an 8ohm V30 from afriend to try it in the combo but I'm curious what you think about it.
The combination of 2 V30 and one MC90 is quite balanced but the grainy gain channels bother me a bit.

Fabien

Edited : I see that I'm now a 'Bottle Rocket'... whoaa! Always dreamed to be exactly that once in my life :D

Hi there
Welcome to the board! I always feel the best thing is to go with what you like best, regardless of the "received wisdom" is...the nice thing is being able to experiment until you find that tone grail.

Personally, I like Vintage 30s in anything!

Back