Cab - Speaker pairing advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marion

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm using Mark V 90 with 2 Mesa 112 cabs. 1 cab is widebody ported with Celestion MC90. The other cab is open back with Celestion V30. I recently got an EVM12L speaker and I'm wondering in which cab should I put it. Will it be better in the ported cab or the open back cab. Also, should I keep the MC90 or the V30 to pair with the EVM? I know trying all combinations would give me the best answer but since some soldering is required, I would like to avoid too many speaker swapping to test so I want to get your experienced inputs. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that the goal is versatility and which combination sounds best but if it matters, I mostly play Rock (Foo, Pearl Jam, RHCP, U2, Green Day, MCR, The Killers).

EVMs work extremely well in either open or closed back, after all Mesa used to stock them in many of their open back combos (Mark IV) and closed back cabs (late 80s/early 90s) before the C90 and V30 completely took over. Both the C90 and the V30 pair well with it, but the V30 will lend a bit more aggressive top end to your sound if you're after that, along with some breakup. EVMs really don't break up, the cone is too thick. I don't really see the point much in pairing a C90 with the V30 though, I would pick one and pair it with the EVM, but I love that speaker and hate V30s.

The only real answer is to try it in both and decide which one you like. The old halfback Mesa cabs with the grill had EVMs in the closed bottom and C90s in the open top, and those things are awesome, if that gives you a place to start. I would try that with your cabs first and go from there.

Hello.
Sell the V30.
Pair with the EVM.
I've owned lots of Boogie 4x12 80's & 90's cabs.
Best sound I found was a Boogie 4x12 with four EVM & A Marshall 4x12 cab with four Celestion sidewinder speakers.
The sound will KNOCK YOU OUT!!
Cheers man

Attachments

• 20221030_111857.jpg
    20221030_111857.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
Hello.
Sell the V30.
Pair with the EVM.
I've owned lots of Boogie 4x12 80's & 90's cabs.
Best sound I found was a Boogie 4x12 with four EVM & A Marshall 4x12 cab with four Celestion sidewinder speakers.
The sound will KNOCK YOU OUT!!
Cheers man
Hello, you may be able to help. If hooking up - 90’s cab to pedals- but when played- it sounded like it blew- and is just jumble since- do you think it’s done or should we work on it. Mesa amp and cab are incomparable together but trying to move with the times.

Latest posts

Back