Speaker switch*update*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fxrs

Reaction score
I ordered a Wizard, (AMS $85, no shipping no sales tax, ordered Sun. online, came on Tuesday, I was impressed.) Did a gig tonite (Sat.) It's a keeper. A lot louder, more high/high-mid emphasis, which is what I was looking for, it'll be nice when it breaks in, smooth it out a little.

You should expect to hear the amp in it's unaltered form.
The 12L translates the amps natural tone very well, but some slight changes in EQ and settings will probably be in order.

That's kind of what I was driving at, if I made no changes in EQ, how would the sound differ?

Speakers colorize the tone, so what you hear is going to be different from the tone you had with the C-90 at he same settings. Let's just say the 12L is a wide open and almost colorless speaker.

You will hear all the good AND bad things about your guitar, amp, playing, etc. The EV is a very unforgiving speaker, but when everything is dialed in right, it is tonal bliss. 8)

Well, I've decided an EV is out too much $$, I think I'll be picking up an Eminence Wizard, this way I can also swing a re-tube with the funds I have at my disposal. Seems like it will brighten the amp up a little, and also increase the "loudness" (103 db sensitivity)

Fxrs said:
Well, I've decided an EV is out too much $$, I think I'll be picking up an Eminence Wizard, this way I can also swing a re-tube with the funds I have at my disposal. Seems like it will brighten the amp up a little, and also increase the "loudness" (103 db sensitivity)

You might want to check out the Eminence Delta Pro 12A. It's as close to the EVM-12L as you can get from Eminence. 8)

http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=DELTA%20PRO-12A&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=1

Yeah, I saw that and was tempted, but it has a lower sensitivity (99.2db) and also a lower freq. range, 52hz to 4.5khz as opposed to 70hz to 5khz for the Wizard. An EV goes up to 7khz I believe.

I dunno, man. 6L6s and EVs = heaven

If you can deal with the weight, I guess.

How much are you getting the wizard for? You can get a 12L for ~$115 if you look long enough.

A little less than $90 new. I presume you're talking used? I'm not trusting enough.

Fxrs said:
Yeah, I saw that and was tempted, but it has a lower sensitivity (99.2db) and also a lower freq. range, 52hz to 4.5khz as opposed to 70hz to 5khz for the Wizard. An EV goes up to 7khz I believe.
EV said:
EVM-12L Classic: “World’s Greatest Guitar Loudspeaker”
• 200W Power handling
• Frequency response: 80Hz – 7kHz (at -10 dB down)
• Heavy-duty cast frame reduces the low-frequency flex
inherent in stamped frame designs.
• Large 16lbs (7.3kg) magnet allows for higher efficiency,
better cooling and maximum output
• Manufactured in the USA

I would take the frequency response with a grain of salt when comparing speakers from different manufacturers. Unless they rate the speaker's frequency response at the same dB levels, you may not have an apples to apples comparison. The EV is slightly brighter than the Delta Pro 12A, but unless you play with your treble and presence on "10", you could easily compensate for this when using the Eminence. Part of the EV magic is the outstanding clarity in the lower registers (NO MUD). Keep this in mind when comparing specs such as SPL.

You guys seems to know EVs well and I was looking to try them. I normally hate 6L6s and love EL34s but into Vintage 30s. I don't like vintage celestions because of their grainy high-end. I do love the harmonics EL34s give me so I was thinking of trying EVs.

I recall plugging my Marshall into a vertical metal grill 2x12 with all EVs and it sounded great distorted but horrible clean.

How do you think my Studio Pre into a EL34 power amp would sound into EVs?

So I just bought the Wizard, hopefully I can manage the install myself. I'll update as necessary.

I'll tell you what to expect: Expect to be able to turn your bass (GEQ) up with almost zero flub. Expect to hear more perceived gain/saturation. Expect to have louder amp. Expect bell-like cleans- fenderesque. Expect to have a herniated disc really soon! DCs LOOOOOVE this speaker. They also love Celestion g12K100s ;).

fdesalvo said:
I'll tell you what to expect: Expect to be able to turn your bass (GEQ) up with almost zero flub. Expect to hear more perceived gain/saturation. Expect to have louder amp. Expect bell-like cleans- fenderesque. Expect to have a herniated disc really soon! DCs LOOOOOVE this speaker. They also love Celestion g12K100s ;).
Thank you,thank you, thank you! That is precisely what I was looking to hear. I usually run my 80hz slider at or even a little below the middle line, while my bass dial is at 2 or below. It can't be that much heavier than the C-90 in there now, can it?

Fxrs said:
fdesalvo said:
Thank you,thank you, thank you! That is precisely what I was looking to hear. I usually run my 80hz slider at or even a little below the middle line, while my bass dial is at 2 or below. It can't be that much heavier than the C-90 in there now, can it?

I may be wrong, but I think he is speaking of the EV. Especially when he mentions a herniated disk :wink:

Well if you can't handle a speaker swap you shouldn't be operating your toilet ;)

Yes, I was referring to used prices for the EV. The new EVs are very nice as well but pricey.

Tell us how you like that Wizard - I've been looking into one.

Back