Speaker repair question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterofsparks

Reaction score
Have the 200 watt EV that originally came in my IIC+ - I replaced it about a year ago after I noticed it had a tear toward the outer part of the cone. Can I just use a little glue to repair the tear? I suppose I can always get it reconed later, just don't want to spend the cash now.

Thanks.

masterofsparks said:
Have the 200 watt EV that originally came in my IIC+ - I replaced it about a year ago after I noticed it had a tear toward the outer part of the cone. Can I just use a little glue to repair the tear? I suppose I can always get it reconed later, just don't want to spend the cash now.

Thanks.

There is a product called Aileene's "No-Sew" that is used to hold fabric together before sewing. It is available at fabric and some hobby stores. I got turned on to it from a guy who has used it for years. It goes on cloudy and dries clear. I have used it a coupe of times now and I'm very satisfied. I have no problem re-coning speakers when they need it but many small tears in the cone can be be very satisfactorily repaired this way.

You also have to be aware that for many older speakers, the original cone kits are no longer available or are hard to find. I could name one very well known speaker manufacturer/re-coner out here on the West Coast who assured me that he had original cones for my JBL-D120 (these haven't been made for many years) and when I got there, they turned out to be JBl K120 kits, which is what JBL authorized repair stations have been using. They don't sound the same but they don't bother to tell you that.

I like to use Contact cement and if possible on the back side of the cone. It remains rubbery. It's also true that a lot of aftermarket "recone" and diaphram kits are out there. They of course are chinese. I've used a couple of them with good results but do question the original quality of the sound. I highly recommend Millersound in Lansdale, Pa. He's been in business over 30 years and has an enormous stock of factory original recone kits. His specialty is reconing high end and vintage stereo speakers. He has kits for stuff you won't beleive. No sloppy glue he makes them look like brand new.

Restless Rocks said:
I like to use Contact cement and if possible on the back side of the cone. It remains rubbery. It's also true that a lot of aftermarket "recone" and diaphram kits are out there. They of course are chinese. I've used a couple of them with good results but do question the original quality of the sound. I highly recommend Millersound in Lansdale, Pa. He's been in business over 30 years and has an enormous stock of factory original recone kits. His specialty is reconing high end and vintage stereo speakers. He has kits for stuff you won't beleive. No sloppy glue he makes them look like brand new.

I should have mentioned that the No-Sew also remains rubbery.

Have used black liquid electrical tape available at automotive section in Wal-Mart for both repairs and doping surround to darken tone on several speakers of mine. Dries non sticky, black and flexible like rubber cement. Very strong. Have noticed that when used as doping dust settles on it, but no big deal, can be vacuumed off easily.

Latest posts

Back